Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
acting out 4 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

acting out 4 year old

My 4 year old has been acting out alot..  He doesn't listen, and he talks back.  I have tried time outs, taking toys away, sitting down to talk with him, giving him good attention (ie, puzzle building, coloring, letter & number writing, baking, any one on one activities i can think off) He doesn't seem to appreciate anything, and the behaviour continues.  I sat him down this morning to talk to him, and he told me that he was mad at daddy cause he goes to work every day and that he was going to teach him a lesson every day.  I asked him what lesson, he said "to be naughty every day"  i explained to him that he was pretty lucky to have mommy home with him almost every day and that most kids mommies and daddies both go to work every day.  I also tried to explain that if daddy didn't go to work that we couldn't buy food, or a house or cloths or toys.  I'm not sure if i'm putting to much on his little mind by telling him that?  What else can i do or say to him to make him understand and not be so angry all the time?
Does he listen to his Dad? How about if u both show a united front, sit down and talk to him so your husband can listen to what he has to say to.  Definitely carry on with the time out, 1 warning and then time out 1 min for every year of their life, my daughters 9 now and it did the trick for me.

Really hope you get to the bottom of it as I know how frustrating it can be xx
He does seem to listen to his dad abit better, but we have tried the united front.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I know i can't give up but some days its easier said then done.  I'm just abit worried about my 18 month old, she loves her brother and does everything he does, so i just hope i don't end up with two in the same boat..