Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
bad habit?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

bad habit?

My 4 1/2 year old daughter just recently develped this habit of smelling her fingers. It's all the time! i believe she is actually not even aware of it. I have talked to her about it but am afraid to embarass her. Any suggesstions? Should I be concerned?
I doubt it's something to be concerned about - it's just a new thing she's discovered. Unless you make a big deal of it, she'll probably stop doing it on her own after awhile.  
Does you daughter have any other habits?  If not, then I would not worry about this one.  If there are other issues as overly shy or sleeping or bathroom problems, you could be dealing with anxiety.  Smelling a part of the body is also an indication of anxiety and is done when the child is uncomfortable or feels unsafe.