Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
circumcision???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

circumcision???

i'm having a boy in october and i am trying to decide whether or not to circumcise.  
any thoughts??  
i kinda feel like circumcision is mutilation and would prefer not to do unnecessary surgery on an infant.  
kinda feel like circumcision is mutilation and would prefer not to do unnecessary surgery

I think you have already answered your own question.  
Some do nowadays some dont sometimes it is still for Religious reasons, I dont think they have come out with any health reason to do it, traditionally Americans have but it isnt done much in Europe. I think it is your choice how does your husband feel .
i had my son circumcision{and had my husband go with him} he was 24 hours old and i felt the way you did.but i have alot of nurse's in my family and i went to school for nursing,and i'am very happy that we had him circumcision.there are alot of pros to having it done.easier to keep clean,which means less risk of infection.and they give  the babies some pain releive meds.it's quick and easy,it takes maybe 5 mins.in the end the choice is yours,but get all the infromation on the pros and cons before you make up your mind.
I chose to circumcise my boys.  Mainly because my husband was in the navy.  Of course all of the guys showered together.  He mentioned how the guys that were not circumcised were given a hard time, because they were different.
both of my twin boys were circumcised they did it at the hospital before we brought them home. they never even cried. we did it....well all the men in our families are circumcised and like ami said..my hubby is a marine and in boot the guys who weren't circumcised were given a hard time as well. why they look at each others wee wees i don't know. i guess guys really do compare penis'. lol.
Just go to this forum and you'll decide swiftly against the procedure:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Mens-Health/Skin-Bridge-on-Penis-removal/show/184283

It is NOT without complications, in fact, as you can see by the referenced discussion, many boys/men go through hell because their penises look and function so poorly as a direct result of circumcision. The locker room argument for these women's husbands is not a valid one - in the U.S. nowadays the circumcision rate is just over 50%, meaning that almost half of all boys have normal (i.e. intact) penises. Whatever you decide, he will not be teased in the showers, unless of course he moves to almost ANYWHERE ELSE in the world where circumcision is rare and he will perhaps be teased for NOT having a foreskin.

It is not difficult to keep clean, it does provide protective and sexual functions, and the procedure is fraught with complications. End of story. Do not do it - your son deserves the rights over his own person, and the science does not support having it done. No medical organization in the world recommends routine circumcision, that should be the biggest indicator of all.
One of my ex-boyfriends was uncircumsized and he blamed his mother for having to grow up with it. It affected his self esteem, with how he saw himself. I have heard that doctors recommend not having circumcisions when you are older because of the risks. Also, that from being circumcized nerve endings are cut off, making it less sensitive. I am still friends with my ex and I doubt he'll ever feel secure about his business. But everyone is different.
My husband is not circumsized and yet he demanded our boys be circumsized. He has to take extra time everyday to make sure he is clean in that area. He said he is prone to infections because of it and he doesn't really see any pros to not having it done. I didn't have a bit of problem with my boys being done and like other poster's have said they didn't even cry.
Let him have it done then, and then report the pros/cons. He doesn't have to deal with the sensitive head of his penis brushing up against clothing, irritating it, and is therefore unqualified to make the distinction. He may BELIEVE he is more prone to infections because of it because that is one of the urban myths being perpetuated in this country. The fact is, urinary tract infections among intact men are NEGLIGIBLY higher than in cut men, such that the risks of surgery still outweigh any slight benefit. I got news for your sons, even though they are cut, they still have to wash down there or face the same issues to which your husband refers. Why not cut off girls' labia when they are first born to substitute for good hygiene? Certainly we would see improvement in female yeast infection statistics. It is unconscionable to think this is unacceptable for one gender and not the other.
So, you were in the OR when they were circumcised, witnessing the fact that they didn't cry? Because usually they don't allow the parents to see the procedure, for good reason.
I am sorry you have had problems with your surgery. My kids have never had any infections nor have they had urinary problems or complained about having sensitivity to that area because of it. It is a very common practice and doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to do.  My husband on the other hand has had numerous urinary infections that you seem to think don't happen in uncut men. He is very clean with his man hood so it is not a lack of hygiene problem.

Like I said before I am sorry you have had problems but that is rare.
First of all, problems with circumcisions are by no means rare. Do you have some science behind your claims, or are you just saying this because of your anecdotal experience with three penises? In addition to being unscientific because it is anecdotal, your sons are children and your husband is an adult - we would have to wait until they get older to compare them to him. Also, we have no way of knowing if your boys' sexual function has been impaired yet since (I'm assuming) they're still pre-pubescent.
Additionally, your husband may be having UTI problems exactly because he is cleaning too much. The inner foreskin and head of the penis prefer a slightly acidic environment (like the inside of a vagina). Washing often with soap will raise the pH (make it less acidic) and interfere with the body's natural flora balance, making a yeast infection more likely than if just rinsed with warm water. Unfortunately in this country there is also an extreme amount of ignorance as to how to care for a natural penis.
I never said that UTI's don't happen in intact men, go reread my post. In fact, I made reference to the incidence being slightly higher in intact men. The risks of circumcision include: skin tags, skin bridges, tight shaft skin, painful erections, dryness, loss of sensitivity, partial or total penile amputation, sepsis, bleeding out, and occasionally death. The substantial (yes, I have figures) risks outweigh the purported benefits, the overwhelming majority of which are bogus anyway. Example: if 100 circumcisions prevent 1 UTI, yet cause 30 complications from the surgery, the risk/benefit ratio is clearly against this procedure as a routine practice.
UMHS also states that being circumcised also prevents urinary tract infections (UTIs) during the first year of life for male children. They discount this pro by saying that UTIs are rare in the first year of life. While this occurrence may be rare, if a male has ever had a UTI, he knows it is painful. I can imagine if it's painful for an adult male, just how painful it must be for an infant to have one. When considering the pro, ask yourself "Can I prevent it from even happening?" Yes, you can, with a circumcision. This will turn a rare occurrence into a no-occurrence.

This came from an article that talks about a study done!!  There you go there is your science that you need.

To the original poster: here is the article I found that puts both pros and cons for you to make a informed decision.

http://  www.   associatedcontent.  com/article/82971/circumcised_vs_uncircumcised_pg4.html?

cat=5

Sorry but you will have to take out all the spaces. Medhelp will not allow you to post websites.
Circumcision appears to reduce a man’s risk of contracting AIDS from heterosexual sex by half, United States government health officials said yesterday, and the directors of the two largest funds for fighting the disease said they would consider paying for circumcisions in high-risk countries.

Circumcised men may also be at lower risk for penile cancer, although the disease is rare in both circumcised and uncircumcised males. Some studies indicate that the procedure might offer an additional line of defense against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including HIV.

Penile problems, such as irritation, inflammation, and infection, are more common in uncircumcised males. It's easier to keep a circumcised penis clean, although uncircumcised boys can learn how to clean beneath the foreskin once the foreskin becomes retractable (usually some time before age 5).

Some people claim that circumcision either lessens or heightens the sensitivity of the tip of the penis, decreasing or increasing sexual pleasure later in life. But neither of these subjective findings has been proved.

Here are more scientific findings on circumcision and the pros!
Wait I found more scientific facts to base my opinion that she should have her baby boy circumcised!!

International Observational Studies

A systematic review and meta-analysis that focused on male circumcision and heterosexual transmission of HIV in Africa was published in 2000 [5]. It included 19 cross-sectional studies, 5 case-control studies, 3 cohort studies, and 1 partner study. A substantial protective effect of male circumcision on risk for HIV infection was noted, along with a reduced risk for genital ulcer disease. After adjustment for confounding factors in the population-based studies, the relative risk for HIV infection was 44% lower in circumcised men. The strongest association was seen in men at high risk, such as patients at sexually transmitted disease (STD) clinics, for whom the adjusted relative risk was 71% lower for circumcised men.

Another review that included stringent assessment of 10 potential confounding factors and was stratified by study type or study population was published in 2003 [6]. Most of the studies were from Africa. Of the 35 observational studies in the review, the 16 in the general population had inconsistent results. The one large prospective cohort study in this group showed a significant protective effect: the odds of infection were 42% lower for circumcised men [7]. The remaining 19 studies were conducted in populations at high risk. These studies found a consistent, substantial protective effect, which increased with adjustment for confounding. Four of these were cohort studies: all demonstrated a protective effect, with two being statistically significant.

Ecologic studies also indicate a strong association between lack of male circumcision and HIV infection at the population level. Although links between circumcision, culture, religion, and risk behavior may account for some of the differences in HIV infection prevalence, the countries in Africa and Asia with prevalence of male circumcision of less than 20% have HIV infection prevalences several times higher than those in countries in these regions where more than 80% of men are circumcised [8].

International Clinical Trials

Three randomized controlled clinical trials were conducted in Africa to determine whether circumcision of adult males will reduce their risk for HIV infection. The study conducted in South Africa [9] was stopped in 2005, and those in Kenya [10] and Uganda [11] were stopped in 2006 after interim analyses found a statistically significant reduction in male participants’ risk for HIV infection from medical circumcision.

In these studies, men who had been randomly assigned to the circumcision group had a 60% (South Africa), 53% (Kenya), and 51% (Uganda) lower incidence of HIV infection compared with men assigned to the wait-list group to be circumcised at the end of the study. In all three studies, a few men who had been assigned to be circumcised did not undergo the procedure, and vice versa. When the data were reanalyzed to account for these occurrences, men who had been circumcised had a 76% (South Africa), 60% (Kenya), and 55% (Uganda) reduction in risk for HIV infection compared with those who were not circumcised. The Uganda study investigators are also examining the following in an ongoing study: 1) safety and acceptability of male circumcision in HIV-infected men and men of unknown HIV infection status, 2) safety and acceptability of male circumcision in the men’s female sex partners, and 3) effect of male circumcision on male-to-female transmission of HIV and other STDs.

The decision is completely up to you on whether or not the baby is circumcised. At first I wasn't going to have my son circumcised but as I thought about it more I chose to have it done. As some of the posts have already said there is less risk of infection & it is easier to clean. It takes a few minutes & that is all plus they give them medicine for pain.
My husband wasn't circumcized at birth and ended up having to have the procedure done when he was 7 years old because or reacuring urinary tract infections. He still remembers it to this day and remembers the pain. Babies won't remember the pain or the act. I would say it's better not to take that chance.
Have your boy circumcised, you will be doing him a great favor.  It is not mutilation.  80 percent of US males are circumcised.  I have not noticed many not enjoying their sexlives or reduced function due to circumcision, and the complications from circumcision are rare not common as the anti circumcision activists would have you believe.  

You will be protecting him from cancer of the penis, no balanitis, no phimosis, less stds, less URis. Less chance of hpv, hiv.  partners of circumcised men have a greatly reduced risk of cervical cancer.

you can check some sites for more info.

http://www.aboutcirc.com/
http://www.medicirc.org/
http://www.circumcisioninfo.com/index_home_new.html
http://www.circinfo.net/
http://www.circinfo.com/
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/2754/wiswell.html
http://men.webmd.com/guide/circumcision-decision-weighing-risks-benefits?page=1
http://www.cafemom.com/group/circmoms
It is not true that is doesn't hurt the baby. The use a knife and scissors to trim skin off the top of a male'smost sensitive part. Just imagine what they do, yes it only takes about 15 minutes. But how long is it alright to cut the skin off an infants body, no matter where it is. It stays red for a long time and traumatizes the infant, for the very first stage of their life they are traumatized. Why were boys born with a foreskin. Is that some kind of freak accident that nature or God made happen or do you think that there is a reason, just like all the skin we have on our bodies. I suspect that the foreskin was there to protect and keep the sexual sensitivity protected. You can't ask the baby but it is reported that they have numbness there for years and maybe even into adulthood.
Cleaning takes a moment. There have been many circumcisions that have gone bad. People will not talk about it because they do not want to embarrasse their male child or spouse. Simple. I raised a boy who I did not circumsize. He is happily married, clean and never had an infection there.
Just so its known, parents ARE in the room with their children if they would like to be and it is NOT done in an operating room it is done in a exam room right there on the table, thats how simple it is. It takes MAYBE 5 minutes and it is numbed and painless until they pee for the first time after and then it hurts for a few minutes. I had 3 uncles that were not circumsized, not only did they get more infections than my circumsized family members their partners also had more infections. My sisters husband was not circumsized until her doctor advised for him to get circumsized because though he cleaned himself I'm sure, SHE was still getting infections at least 3-5 times a month. It is your choice jacquiedl, it's your son, but like everyone is saying it's better to check out the statistics on your own rather than go by what any of us ranters are saying. Your child with have to live with your decision so my advise is to make it the best possible EDUCATED decision, that you feel you and your son will be happiest with. Good Luck!
They use a scalpel and a clamp to do a baby circumcision.  The also use a local anesthetic to block the pain.  You sound like one of the typical anti circumcision activists. You use all the code words. Such as God created foreskins for a reason.  Yes he did when man was running naked through the high grasses. Now men wear trousers where sweat and bacteria grow.  Not all foreskins are created equal some function well, some dont function well. Fact, the benefits of circumcision dont only apply to men but women gain a benefit of that also.  Jewish women have the lowest cervical cancer rate in the world.  Fact, few circumcisions go bad, not many.  Ten times more uncircumcised males have died from urinary tract infections that have died from complications of circumcision. Cancer of the penis is almost non existent in circumcised males. Is it a rare cancer?  Not to those men that contract it.

Here are a few videos of infant circumcisions done with dignity.  Not the phony ones on you tube with the ventriloquist babies that are screaming with their mouths shut.

http://www.circumcisionvancouver.com/

http://newborns.stanford.edu/MogenIntro.html

http://newborns.stanford.edu/GomcoIntro.html

http://newborns.stanford.edu/PlastibellIntro.html

circumcision is a gift that keeps on giving.

Infant circumcision is not a gift it is a violation of child's bodily integirty.

Nowadays rates are about 50/50 across the country:
http://www.circumstitions.com/USA.html

It is declining because no medical organisation recommends it and because it isn't essential for a child's good health:
http://www.circinfo.org/index.htm

Do you really want to inflict pain on your son as he enters the world?  You might hear people saying "oh they use pain relief".  But the pain relief isn't enough to completely mask the pain.  Second of all, they don't use it sometimes.  As it is done behind closed doors, you don't know what torture your son will be going through. See this recent video by a nurse who just watched his first circumcision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCFU1xs0qI

There are other reasons not to do it.

Care is a lot easier with intact boys as there is nothing to do. The foreskin is unretractable in infancy so it should be left alone. No cleaning under it or pulling it back is required. In fact, it is advised by doctors to just leave it alone:

http://www.kidshealth.org.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/contentpage/pi_id/266

Circumcised boys require a lot more care. Circumcised boys are in discomfort for some time post-op because there is an open wound. This wound can easily become infected. It can also become irritated by ammonia in the urine. Another possible problem is that the severed skin can re-attach to form a skin bridge. Moms with circed boys have to be constantly vigilant and take measures to make sure this doesn't occur.   Basically, it is a whole lot of extra hassle (that usually nobody tells you about).
http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/vanhowe/

The foreskin is a highly specialised piece of skin found nowhere else on the penis.  It helps in masturbation and during sex.

Functions of the foreskin: a 20 minute video made by doctors opposing circumcision:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DoCn3gATE

A website detailing the functions of the foreskin during sex and its effect on the female partner (contains explicit images):

http://xrl.us/foreskinfunctions

Website showing the damage that occurs from having the glans (glands) exposed:

http://www.noharmm.org/IDcirc.htm

As you say it isn't necessary health wise and when you weigh in the complications, the pain, the loss of sexual functioning and the breach of bodily integrity, it is definitely a net-negative operation:

http://www.circinfo.org/index.htm

As for what circumcised men think. They are likely to be highly biased in favour of getting it done.  This is mainly because they don't want to admit they are worse off.  This article called "The vulnerability of men" is interesting:

http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/vincent/vulnerability_of_men.html

To me these reasons are sufficient enough not to do it.  

As for it having to be done later.  That is rare if you just leave it alone and let nature take care of things.  Misdiagnosis of a tight foreskin by unexperienced doctors is not unusual USA.  An unretractable foreskin is normal in infancy (see the kidshealth link above).  Some doctors do not know this - hence their recommendation of circumcision.  In fact, the average age of boys being able to retract their foreskin is 10 years of age.

Most kids experience ballooning - where the pee fills up the foreskin before it comes out.  Over time, the hole becomes wider and eventually the foreskin becomes retractable.  This can happen any time up until puberty.  The important thing is not to force it as this can create scar tissue which will impede retraction.   So just leave it alone.  It requires no cleaning on the inside.

See, 'normal development of the foreskin':

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/
Man, I never realized how political the idea of circumcision could get.  Yikes.  I think this thread has taken on a life of its own . . .

The beauty of life is that people can have very different opinions without anyone being absolutely right.  Respecting others should be a law.  

I'm just a mom without a cross to bear.  The poster just asked for opinions, so if someone doesn't have the same opinion as you-----  that's still okay for them to share.  

I have two boys.  Both are now circumcized.  Our oldest son at birth.  I didn't think too much about it as it is so commonly done in our country (us).  It was very quick but I will say, he had a tough 24 hour period after it.  My second child was suspect to have an issue where his uretha was in the wrong place.  This would have been a great issue for him as this would not only effect urinary problems but later fertility and other things.  We saw a pediatric urologist and at 7 months, he underwent surgery.  It didn't turn out to be the case (at birth it looked like it, two months later when we finally got into the urologist, the foreskin had tightened and closed off enough that they couldn't get into see without hurting my baby)----  as they anesthetized him and were able to see.  They circumcized him at this time.  I found it very curious that if you have a child circumcized after birth when they are a bit older, they use anesthesia---- which tells me it hurts.  My son was in LOTS of pain for about 48 hours.  I mean miserable.  And then it was completely fine and didn't even seem sore.  But the procedure did hurt.

I do think about my boys later in life----  in that old locker room.  In the US, most boys are circumcized (right or wrong) and boys who aren't might be made fun of.

That is JUST MY OPINION AS A MOTHER.  no politics here, just an honest opinion.

Good luck to the poster with your baby-----  what an exciting time. My boys have brought me more joy than I've ever known.  
my sister recently had her second child and had him circumcized. she said she did it so that there was no confusion between why daddy was different. my mother and i tried to talk her out of it due to the fact that we have heard that it could lead to many infections. now my sister regrets having done this. if i had a son i would definetly not do this but that is my opinion.
i didnt get my son circumized and now at the age of almost 3 years old he has had previous infections and has one now, i now have to get him circumcized in 2 weeks cuz of teh infections. i did everything i was told to do also with cleaning and pushing the skin back and he still got infections. so honestly i would recommend you getting it down especially when he is born, cuz now at 3 my son ahs to be put under and its a longer procedure, only good thing is that he is still young enough not to remember any of it and the time for it to heal is only 4 days.