Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
confused

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

confused

My son turned 2 in jun 21..my child isn't saying anyword sometimes when i oblige him 2 say car,go ,baby,bye,hi he rarely says then i'm so confused,i put him in day care and taking him 2 speechtherapy till now no 1 gave me what's the problem.i made him tesr 4 his ears 100%normal.he doesn't know things or point on things b4 he didn't have a good eye contact but now he's better he's playing wz his sisters normaly but the thing that made me scared coz i call him he doesn't answer and it's rarely 2 answer..please need help i wish u can answer me as soon as possible..thanx a lot !
Tags: need help, problem, help, confused
Sounds very similiar to what my family went through with my brother. He was about the same age and we had gotten his ears tested and started taking him to speech therapy and he had started pre k. One of the teachers he had asked us after picking him up one day if he had been tested for autism as she recognized it from her own sonhaving it. Sure enough he ended up having high functioning autism. Which isnt exactly the same as reg autism. its mainly them registering the things that they are trying to say in their head to their mouths. I would ask his pediatrician what he thinks and if its a possibility. And if he does end up with autism, don't worry, my brother is now 12 and incredibly smart and can do more on the computers and other mechanical and artistic things that some adults.
I'm a father of 3 boys, and the youngest is autistic. U should go have him screened. The sypmtoms sound like my sons. He doesn't talk, won't respond, etc. Make sure u take him somewhere where they have experience with children with autism. If they don't have experience and knowlegde u could get the wrong diagnosis. Good luck! Feel free to message me if u have any other questions.
Hi.  There is another reason besides autism that a child has difficulty with speech (besides just a speech delay which some children have) and that is sensory integration disorder.  I often mention it because many people don't think of this developmental delay. Actually the first poster to respond was actually speaking of sensory integration disorder.  It is quite different than autism in that it is a processing issue with the nervous system.  Motor planning is the part of our brain that organizes info coming in, going out and then sends the messages to the motor groups in charge of carrying out the action (in speaking, that would be the oral motor group.)  It takes a lot of coordination for speech and for some it does not come naturally.  

Many kids that are autistic also have sensory issues but sensory integration is a disorder all on its own. My son has sensory alone.  His first symptoms that got the attention of a preschool teacher (there were signs after I knew that I hadn't picked up on as he was my first born)-------  speech (articulation problems), tripping and wandering the preschool room rather than sitting down and working/playing.  My boy was evaluated by an occupational therapist, diagnosed, started weekly OT and is doing fantastic.  Unless you knew what to look for, you'd never know he has sensory integration disorder.  Early intervention can do wonders.  

So my question is this--------- does your boy understand you?  Can you tell him to go get something and he will?  Does he indicate to you when he wants something?  Does he play with toys?  Does he pretend to drive a car on a race way, for example?  The way a child plays can tell you a lot about what is going on.  Autistic children have great difficulty pretending.  Does your boy act like a stuff animal is real, for example?  How is his eye contact and social skills?  With sensory, these things can be impeded but most certainly they always are in autism.  

So, continue with your speech therapy.  I'd consider an occupational therapy evaluation as they work directly with motor planning and assimulation into things such as school and peer interaction.  And I'd also talk to your pediatrician.  A neurological consult would be a good idea. Children's hospitals almost always have departments designated for autism, sensory, speech, etc.  They also have support groups for parents and play groups for kids.

good luck but do not lose faith and hope.  My son has shown me that we CAN really help our kids and what we do early can make a world of difference.  good luck