Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
does my baby have developmental issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

does my baby have developmental issues?

When my baby was 3 months old, she rolled off of my bed which is about 3 ft high, I didn't realize that she could roll then, she landed on some pillows that had fallen off the bed but it still made a loud thud. She cried and was easily comforted, I called my pediatrician and she told me not to worry that everything would be just fine. Then when she was 5 months old the same thing happened only this time she did not land on anything she landed directly on the floor. Again she was easily comforted and again I called my pediatrician, and again she claimed that everything was fine. I am so ashamed that this happened not once BUT TWICE, and I cant help but feel like my peditrician is down playing it, as though I am just a new mother over reacting. But now that she is almost two and a half and is very smart, she is still not talking. She knows what things are and understands well, she also says some  words and small sentences. I know that with her being an only child that she is lacking in some socail skills, but she is aggressive and hard to settle when she is angry. I am considering having them do a CT or head scan to make sure everything looks alright. I have this horrible fear that she may have some developmental issues, and that this is my fault. Obviously I want the best for my baby and any information I can get will be so greatly appricated.
Hi.  Well, first let me say that my son has developmental issues and he was born with them.  I think you are talking about something different in that you fear she has suffered a head injury, correct?  

I understand your fear----  as a mother, I went through my share of accidents as well.  I have two boys, one with a delay and one without.  But my son with the delay had signs all along.  Minor ones such as he didn't roll over right when other babies his age were, he gagged easily on solid food when we tried to transition him, he walked early (actually a sign of the delay my son has which is sensory integration disorder).  Both my kids took tumbles.  One of these tumbles caused me to also call our pediatrician who went through what to look for if it is an actual head injury.  I also went into google mode and looked it up.  There are signs that are undeniable if a child has a head injury after a fall or blow to the head.  

In my delayed son's case, his falls were related to his delay.  

I would strongly consider a couple of things to see how your daughter is really doing.  Start socializing with her with other kids around her age.  She is still so young that she will not actually play WITH the kids but along side of them.  At 3 to 3.5, they start to play together more.  But you will be able to help her with her social skills as well as get a picture of where other kids her age are at developmentally.  Now, they all do develop at different rates for absolute sure.  But you will see if they are able to do things she can not.  

Another option is preschool for a short time.  At 2.8 months, my son started preschool for one half day (2.5 hours) a week.  It was there that I learned that he did indeed stand out from others---  not in a huge way, but enough for the teachers to see it.  As he got older, the ways he stood out became more clear.  We addressed it (early intervention is fantastic) and  my son does not stand out much at all anymore at 8 years old.  We did occupational therapy and it helped so much for his sensory integration disorder.  We too helped him with social skills, motor planning (a big reason why toddlers have speech issues), and regulation (the ups and downs, over reacting, aggressiveness, meltdowns, etc.).  

So, I'd find a good preschool program and go ahead and enroll her.  I'd start socializing.  I'd work on speech at home.  Things like sticking the tongue in and out, moving it from side to side, making silly faces and freezing them to music (play music and make silly faces, turn music off and freeze)---  blowing bubbles, licking a lolly pop, chewing gum, all of these things help mouth muscles get coordinated and strong.  speak slowly and have her watch your mouth.  

But time will tell if there is more than just developing at her own rate is going on.  And my son with a delay---  we have no idea why and it doesn't matter.  We just had to help him.  good l uck
Thank you very much for all your imput. You are very knowledgable, and I am happy to hear that your son is developing well.
Well, I wish you well with your child as well.  Best of luck to you!