grandson
my four year old grandson has started talking about him self in the third person. way would he do this
Do other people talk to him in the third person?

I'm really amazed that children can pick up correct language when parents do that - and I see that all the time!  "Michael,  give Mommy the cookie".  "Michael,  can you pick that up for Mommy?"

Is that what's happening in his home or preschool?
I do it ALL the time still Rockrose.  That's funny.  I never even thought of it as referring to myself in third person.  You know who else does it?  Elmo---  I remember that from his show 'elmo's world'.  
Guilty here as well.  I also do it with his name  "if Ryder doesn't calm down, Ryder is going to have to have some quiet time in his room".  Did that just tonight!  I need to work on this for sure!
My son does it sometimes...his names is Devin so he will say things like " monocoque.will you get Devin some milk?" And " can Devin have this....?" We just remind him to not ushers name like that and to say "can I"  or "will you me some milk" so it's not just your grandson.