Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
help from mum or mum to b

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

help from mum or mum to b

Hi i have a 20month old who was a great sleeper at night till he turned qbout 12-14month old now he gose bed in his cot but wake in the night and want go bk sleep in his cot anyone got any tips to get him sleep threw the night cz im 10 weeks pregnant and want to try get my lb sleep threw b4 baby cime so he nt wakin it up thank you in advance
does he have his own room? If so put up a child gate and let him cry it out, he WILL go back in his bed after some alone time crying, and in the morning when you get him up congratulate him for being a big boy and sleeping in his bed. Give him a night light, special blanket, teddy bear, and kisses goodnight and promise yourself you won't go get him when he cries. It sounds mean but it will work and he will feel proud in the morning. if possible I would also put him to bed later so he is VERY tired when you lay him down and that might help him fall into a deeper sleep and he won't keep waking up. Try this for a week and if it doesn't work ask your pediatrician for advice, but crying won't break him and he is old enough to sleep through the night
O my, im having the same problem my 4 yr old has bern staying up to midnight even when i wake him up at 6 in the morning and right after he goes to bef my 19 month old comes to my bed and wants to sleep hes been winning alot because im exhausted. I want him out of my room as well because i sleep at the foot of the bed because him and daddy hog it all up. I feel your pain!:/
Have you read the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby?"  It has some great ideas in it.

A few other things.  Make sure he has a decent night light. Not so bright that it interfers with REMS, but bright enough so there are no shadows.  Try to help him bond with some sort of stuffed animal.  The baby gate is a good idea as well - eventually they will understand that you are not coming in.  

Some kids just aren't good sleepers.  Mine's not either (he's 3).  It's a tough one for sure.  Good news is they will eventually grow out of it, and my Pediatrician assures me it is a sign of intelligence..I hope so..lol.
Try laying down next to him while smuggling with him u can sing also untill he falls asleep, then slide a stugf animal under his arm so he thinks ur still there.