Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
highly energetic kid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

highly energetic kid

my nephew is 3.6 years old.he is very active and energetic kid.he is very difficult to handle especially in front of guests and social places.he hit other kids while playing with them.shouting and running around are his favourite activities.his mother use physical punishment to discipline him. kindly tell me what is the best way to deal with him.
Hi there.  Well, physical punishment isn't something I personally use and it does make you wonder about this boy hitting other kids as he is hit, doesn't it?

I think something super key with this boy is to give him lots of physical outlets.  He needs to be outside at parks running, jumping, climbing, swinging, etc. every single day.  If it is cold, sign him up for swim lessons at an indoor pool or get him out there anyway in the chilly weather.  Have him run races around the yard.  Go to an indoor gym.  Set up obstacle courses in the house, etc.  Just keep him very very active.

He sounds like his social skills haven't come naturally to him so they can be taught step by step.
cont.  His mother can help him with personal space (if you need ideas how to do that, let me know), being a good friend, sharing, caring, etc.  

I would suggest you look something up as it may apply.  Sensory integration disorder is something my own son has.  Please go to Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) --  a web site and read about it to see if you think it might apply.  good luck
Physical punishment is moy going to solve the problem...

My son went through a hitting phase when he was about 2. Anytime he would hit a kid, the teacher at daycare would tell him 'be nice'. We did the same at home when he was near the cats (he never hit them, we taught him early on to 'be nice'). We also had him pet the kids before hitting them... As if they were cats lol!

The bad behaviour eventually went away within a couple of months. The parents/teachers need to be consistent.

As for physical actvity, my son is 2.5 and loves to be active, he rarelly stays still. Unless he has a bottle in his hands. Maybe try to give him a favorite drink when he is in presence of other kids?
thanks.kindly tell me about personal space as you mention it in your reply