Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
my child cant talk
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my child cant talk

I have 3 boys my middle child is 18 months old and has no words, he hasn't even said mama or dada, should I be worried, he is babbling but not much, my 10 week old boy is more vocal. my first son was speaking sentences by the age of 2. Please can anyone help,
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
377493_tn?1356505749
I'm not a medical professional, but having an almost 3 year old, I am around children now a fair amount with play dates, etc.  I most definately notice a difference in each childs development. They are healthy and normal kids, but come along at their own pace.  My son's friend really didn't start talking until just over 2, and now talks non stop.  He seems to be catching up very quickly all of a sudden.

If your concerned, talk to your Dr.  But in all honesty, at 18 months I wouldn't be too worried yet.  All the best.
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
1.  Has his hearing been tested?  
2.  Do discuss this with the pediatrician.  
Blank
my son is 4 and he did not start talking to where i could understand him until just this year.  the past 6 months he has come so far.  leaps and bounds actually.  see, i was laid off for 2 yrs right after he was born.  he was with me that whole time.  i finally got a job and he had to go to daycare.  him being around all these other kids has made all the difference.  before, i would talk to him but it wasn't the same.  they pick up so much more from other kids.  i am so proud of him.  talking so much. i was really worried.  they tried to tell me he was like almost 2 yrs behind.  he is catching up so fast.  they learn at their own pace for sure.  he is going to speech therapy for his endings of words now.  that is all he is having trouble with but getting 100 times better.  
Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
I agree with the others that kids do develop at different ages,  and it's not necessarily a concern that he's not talking yet.

But if he were my child,  I would have him checked by a speech pathologist,  because this is later than average to start talking.  

He might be on track for him,  but you'd want to know early if he has hearing or language delays -
Blank
294043_tn?1354211546
Talk to your pediatrician!  They will test his hearing first and if that is fine may suggest a formal evaluation around 2 y.o.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...