Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
my sad 2 1/2 year old...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

my sad 2 1/2 year old...

I have a 5 year old son, a 2 1/2 year old son and a 5 month old daughter...my 2 year old has always been a mommies boy...i am really worried about him...it seems that ever since my daughter was born he has not been himself.  He barely eats, wakes up crying, cries over everything, and just seems sad.  i know he is probably in his terrible twos right now, but i am just wondering if maybe it has to do with a baby sister.  him and his brother fight a lot too, and with all of this going on, i wonder if it is really affecting his well being.  i try and pay attention to him as much as i used too, but it is hard with a new baby...any suggestions?  i am constantly questioning my motherhood, i always want to do the right things....
well he is upset about the baby and he will get over it, he just wants you to feel some of his pain. meaning it is upsetting you. has the boys always fought? he would be happy if the baby was gone and it was just u and him again, but that well never happen so............have u had him help you with the baby, feeding, getting a daiper.or he can help u around the house, folding socks or dusting, just little things.
good luck
the boys just started fighting a lot probably since my 2 year old started getting interested in all of the things my 5 year old is...boys will be boys i guess!!  thank you so much for the advice...i try so hard to be understand of brady (my 2 year old) and find myself babying him, but it gets to a point were i just can't take his whining and fussing and i just have to walk away..then i feel bad because i am "ignoring" him.  i will try to involve him like you suggested...i bet he will enjoy that....
Praise him a lot and involve him in as many activities as you can.  Tell him that he's being a good older brother to his baby sister by helping you take care of her.  Have him bring you a diaper or baby's bottle, little things like that.  Every chance you get, tell him that you're proud of him.  He's the middle child (like me :)  and he wants to know that he's needed/wanted.  Good luck.
i am going through the same thing you are, i have a five year old and a two in a half year old son. i just gave birth to there baby sister eight weeks ago and everyone is still trying to get used to the idea..my two year old is also driving me crazy with is temper tantrums and whining, my five year old is pretty bad with it himself some days, i actually split with there father a year ago so there still dealing with that. anyways my two year old is fine until i am trying to feed the baby or we are at the store then he needs to be carried or help useing the toilet or anything else he can think of at the time. we are actually having a lot more bathroom accidents lately. i try not to get frustrated with him but it's not always easy expecially if the baby is unhappy at the time. so i just try to spend mommy and Camey time when she is sleeping and pretty much whatever he wants. i feel that i am not spoiling him just making him feel important again. IT'S ALSO BECAUSE I FEEL GUILTY, that i am a bad mother sometimes and i feel better when he is happy no matter what because he will eventually get over it.