Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
potty training

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

potty training

my child is 2 years and 4 months , I have been trying to potty train him for about 9 month , first i was trying to make him start by the solid. i tried every way of incentives and punishment but they all didnt work and he still did in the diaper..at some point he used to drive me mad because when i ask him where he should do it ,he would answer "the toillet" but still no action so i used to severly punish him
Now for about a month me and at the nursery are potty training him not to urinate in the diaper and he now goes to sit on the potty to urinate and he actually doesnt wear diapers any more he is very good and he asks to go to the toillet.. Except for the solid, until now he refuses badly to do it at the toillet or in the potty and he either does it in his pants or he starts crying untill he wears diapers just to do it and then i take it off
Is this normal and can be solved?, i dont know why he does that or is this because of my punishments for that matter?
Thank You very much
My niece did the same thing when she was being potty trained, I believe that it is normal and most kids have a fear of the soiling in the toilet and that takes them the longest to catch on to.  My sister-in-law used to bring her daughter in the bathroom with her when she had to go and told her daughter the whole time that there was nothing to worry about and that it would feel a lot better on her bum to go in the toilet or potty instead of a diaper.  It took her a little while but she managed to start going on the toilet but for the first year she had to have my sister-in-law or my brother in the bathroom with her.  I hope that helps!
My son was afraid to poop in the potty to begin with and would go in his underwear and it never bothered him until he did it at the park one day and I had to change him and clean him in the parking lot beside our car before we could drive home. I didn't say anything negative about it but explained that we had to leave the park because he'd pooped his pants and he was aware that he was embarrassed because the kids could see he'd had an accident. We haven't had any problems since then. I would think punishing your son, or severly punishing as you put it, would terrify them more of you than encourage something they are already afraid or uncomfortable with.
I think where potty training is concerned reward is more effective than punishing, because they are learning punishment discourages them from the potty because they associate it with being in trouble. I consider myself pretty strict and have only started potty training my 21month old boy but I always reward him for using the potty and when he has accidents I just say its ok just let me know next time so we can use the potty. But again I'm not sure since your boy is older and can ask you to use the toilet!

Good luck!!
My daughter is 3.5 and she is still not going poopy.  I don't know what to do.  I've tried stickers potty chart. punishment. You name it. She is so stubborn.  I keep her in underware all day too so you can imagine the mess! (gross).  I have a 10 month old. So I figured she has regressed because of that.  Its been awhile now though.  I don't know what to do.  I feel like she is never going to go.  She says I just can't its just tooo hard.  Meanwhile she has done it before.  What do I do??
When your child is reading to use the toilet then he's ready! He's only what 2????
And what do you mean by punishment??