Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
potty training

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

potty training

What are some signs for a lil girl to start potty training.? I have been thinking about potty ttaining my daughter but not sure if she is quite ready.
How old is she?

I think every parent has a slightly different thought around this, and I have no doubt you'll get different opinions.  For me I think it's when they can let you know they have to go, or are telling you they are wet or poopy and it bothers them.  We started out by putting out a child's potty for our son to just sort of get used to.  We now have a potty ring with a step stool on the regular toilet.  Our son started out by just sort of looking at it and eventually graduated to being interested in sitting on it.  We tried sitting him on it a few times, but it upset him, so we just let it go.  Now, most of the time he likes to sit on it in his diaper.  He also knows that mommy and daddy use the "big girl" or "big boy" potty.  He is a little over 2 1/2 and on very very few occasions he will tell me he wants to use the big boy potty and will.  But he is no where near consistent yet. It's not even a daily thing yet.

My belief is to show and explain what it is and what it's for, then sort of let them take the lead with it.  My pediatrician tells me that different children get control at different ages.  So we just aren't worrying about it.  We encourage him and support him when he wants to use it, but we don't push it when he doesn't.  For us I think this is the right path.  Time will tell I guess.

Introduce her to it and see how she reacts.  Hope this helped a little bit.  Best of luck to you!
She is 17 months now. She takes her diaper off after every time she wets or makes a dirty diaper and she will most the time bring it to me. And even sometimes she takes the diaper off stands next to the bathroom door or in the bathroom and pee or poop on the floor? Could that possibly be signs of readiness or is it just a normal action to do at her age?
It could be.  I'd give it a try and see what happens.  Every kid is different in terms of when they are ready.  Introduce her to it, explain what it is for in simple language, and if she isn't interested just don't push otherwise you can make her afraid of it.  But certainly no harm in giving it a shot.  Good luck!
Thank you. I have tried for a few weeks now since she likes to go into the bathroom with me. But since I started putting her on the potty chair she will sit there but after a few times of sitting on it she runs from me and sometimes cries cause she don't want to sit there. I try to distract her and calm her down but I don't force her to sit there. Because like you said I don't want her to be scared of it or push it on her. It might just be too soon. I was just hoping to get her out of diapers before my 2nd baby is born in November.