Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
potty training?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

potty training?

my daughter will be three and we still haven't potty trained her. i know i know. i should have already. she sometimes will say that she wants to go pee and we will take her to the toilet. i bought some pull ups and put her on them about a week ago, but when i asked her if she wanted to pee she wasn't interested. then she pooped in the pull ups and it kinda set us back a little. i feel bad that we haven't done this yet. my husband and i are ttc again, and we need to have her potty trained soon. i dont want her to be going through too many big changes at once. any tips on getting started?
I don't know why trying to get pregnant means your daughter has to be potty trained soon.

Is she around other children who are toilet trained?  Usually that is a great motivator.
i work and she stays with my mom monday - thursday. she only goes to school on fridays. so some, but not much. and i dont know. ive just read that if you have a new baby you should try to go through the big changes with your older child before the new baby arrives, so that they are not overwhelmed. she still sleeps in a crib and has never climbed out, so we haven't yet transitioned to a toddler bed. all i have to go by is what i read on parenting two children. i just am afraid she will be overwhelmed by potty training, giving up her bed, and a new baby all at once.
Well,  since you're not even pregnant yet you've got awhile before adjusting to the new baby.

But since she'll be 3 next month,  I agree,  it's time to start.  Once a child is ready to potty train, it really doesn't take very long usually.  

Have you gotten her some potty training books like Once Upon A Potty?  Does she have her own little toilet?

we haven't done the little toilet thing because shes always wanted to pee on ours. i got her her own little step stool that is purple with disney characters, and she LOVES it. she gets very excited to pull it up to the toilet and "get on by herself". we have a potty DVD w/ elmo, and i agree that we should pull it out. i will have to admit i am completely clueless when it comes to potty training though. are pull ups better? panties? naked? UGH this is harder to me than a newborn ha.
some of the best advice my family and friends would give me is to just let your toddler wear regular underwear and let them pee in it for the first time and then redirect them to the potty. you can also time them every 1/2 hr to 1 hour and then bring them to the bathroom. you can start introducing potty books, dvds, sticker rewards chart, etc to your child so they get the idea. You can also have your child watch you pee and show them what it looks like inside the potty and then have them go next. It just takes a lot of time and patience until your child is comfortable.
does your child have any close cousins or friends of same age but are already potty-trained? it helps to let your child see all the action and learn from their peers.
no cousins... she has friends at school that she talks about, but i do not know if they are toilet trained or not. they are in the 3 year old class, so i'm assuming that they are. but shes really not there enough (just friday) ...shes down for a nap now, but when she wakes up i think we are going to try again. we have panties and pull ups, i think panties may be best because i would imagine pull ups feel just the same as diapers. wish us luck!
hope you have hardwood floor. :) Best of luck!
Having my daughter wear underwear that she picked out was huge. We kept telling her that Hello Kitty (the undies she picked out) wants to stay clean and dry.  I would ask her if she had to go all the time - and really - just take her.  I'd say, "It's been a while, let's go pee."  Sometimes I'd go first - or ask her if she wanted me to go first.  We'd use yogurt covered raisins as a reinforcer too. If she peed when we took her she'd get 2 or 3, if she told us she needed to pee she'd get more.  For pooping, which took us longer, we taped a Hershey's Kiss to the cabinet for her to see and that helped.

A pediatrician told my mom that no one goes to Kindergarden in diapers.  She'll get it when she's ready.
In the beginning, you just really have to stay on it, every 45 minutes tell her to go potty. If she says mommy can I have this our do this, use it against her, you have to go potty first then you can. And take her out of pull ups, just let her wear pants and when she pees on herself say ewww that's gross you have to use the potty like mommy and daddy. Making them think its gross is the best way
I used the naked potty training method, worked well, the biggest complaint I have with it is that my son refused to wear pants for the longest time, and will still take his pants off at every opportunity lol.
I have my 2years son and i started the potty training.I would instead recomend you to start introducing the potty, and playing games, and reading stories about potty training....also, i also dowloaded a great potty training app called potty training learning with the animals.......then after months of theory,,start the process...that will definitelly make it succesfull and easily!