Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
preschool ready?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

preschool ready?

Hi I have a question about my 4 yr old daughter. She will be going to preschool next year what are the milestones they need to reach before being enrolled? She talks VERY well says abc's but numbers are a big problem for her for some reason... she always starts to get them scrambled when she gets to about 4 sometimes 5. and i cant find a good enough strategy to help her with this. any suggestions on books, songs, etc?
There are no academic milestones for enrollment in preschool. She'll be exposed to all that stuff there. For kindergarten entry, many school systems now want the kids to recognize the ABC's (upper and lowercase) and numbers 1-10 or 20. At preschool she should get all that plus she'll probably learn to print them legibly, if not neatly, by the time she finishes. I'm sure she'll be ready for kindergarten when it's time.

She may not really be interested in her ABC's or numbers yet. There are tons of materials out there to choose from, I suggest selecting ones based on what does interest her. Disney Princesses? Barbie? Horses? My son was only interested in trains at that age, so I searched for train themed learning tools or I made my own when I could think of something creative enough. For instance, he was exposed to the alphabet thousands of times through the years but only learned it finally when I put letters on index cards made to look like boxcars and we lined them up to make a train. Hope this helps.
I would think the most important thing would be for the child to be able to behave appropriately with other children and the adult staff.  I believe most schools expect the children to be toilet-trained.  Social interaction is of prime importance - abc's and numbers are curriculum items.  Children learn best through play; not through "strategies".  When she is ready, she will learn her "numbers" without much instruction.
thanks! yes shes very interested in princesses. i have problems keeping up with which one she is every ten minutes. and she is very well socially developed so i guess shes good to go!