Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
sexual health

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

sexual health

I have a 5 year old daughter who has been touching herself since she was three and also was rubbing her nipple whenever she drank anything.  I usually just ignored it but lately have been telling her to go to her room. My mother says doing this will turn her into a sex addict later in life. My questions are: Should I keep doing what I am doing or is there a better way of dealig with this issue without negative damage to my daughter?
Simply explain to her that there is nothing wrong with touching herself in those areas, but that it is inappropriate to do so around other people, and that (at her age) she should only do it when she is alone.
My son is going thru something similar he calls it " Tickling his potty" he used to try and do it every where by wiggling/ rubbing against anything. We told him he could do it in his bedroom by himself on his own bed. Its worked pretty well. We just have to remind him occasionally.
It happen to me when my son was around five too he is now almost seven . I told him that his hands had germs and that if he kept doing that his lil things was going to get sick and the dr was going to have to see it and give him s shot lol !  Well it worked he stop . Try not to make it like if something bad that they are doing because the more you say no the more they will do it.