Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
this is more of a cat question but..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

this is more of a cat question but..

This is more of a cat question but, as a parent of a 2 1/2 year old, this kinda includes him as well, and the cat forum doesn't look like its being used.

Anyways, our 6 year old miniature schnauzer Lucy jumped out of my vehicle as my friend was getting in, and ran into traffic and was killed a month and a half ago.. Which has left my son and my 7 year old schnauzer Snickers (and everyone else too) totally devastated.

On the day Lucy passed away, this beautiful dilute tortoiseshell calico cat who was about 7 weeks pregnant showed up out of the blue in our backyard, begging for attention and food. She seemed to get along really well with Snickers and my son, so after three days of her sitting on our back deck begging for food, we realized she had been sleeping in our old shed that we keep meaning to tear down. So we took her in.

Things were going ok at first, but she has been getting more and more skittish... She has had the kittens and now they are 3 weeks old. She got a little grumpy with Snickers a few times during her pregnancy, but just growling and hissing, and we figured she must just be in pain. Then she had the kittens and everything seemed fine.. Until a week after she had the babies Snickers stuck his head into the hidey-hole she was keeping the kittens in, and she got irate. She attacked him, then the rest of the night she seemed so p***** that she was stalking him out and attacking him repeatedly.

The next day everything settled down, but incidents keep happening and they are totally random.. Yesterday something fell off a shelf so she attacked Snickers.. and the incidents are getting more and more frequent, and more and more violent. I'm totally afraid one of them are gonna hurt each other. Snickers has been around cats his whole life and loves them, but he is afraid of her now, and when these incidents are happening, he's getting really tired of it and is starting to fight back.

I dont want to rehome her but it's at the point where I think its in everyones best interest :( Not to mention, we were planning to get a puppy sometime, maybe as soon as a month from now (after the wedding and when kittens go) maybe as far as waiting until next summer before my son starts school.. But at this rate I'd be afraid to bring home a puppy :(
Hi there, I am an LVT at a cat clinic.  Unfortunately this is probably just her personality...A lot of tortoiseshell cats are quite "spicy" and strong willed.  Some of it may also be her feeling overprotective of her recent kittens as well.  Think of it from her perspective though, she is afraid and annoyed by Snickers and rightfully so because although he was probably not trying to be mean, he stuck his head into "her territory" and she remembers this well.  Also, it is quite common for cats to have "redirected aggression" so it completely makes sense that she attacked Snickers when something fell off of a shelf, she became scared or upset and felt she has to take it out on something and that something happened to be Snickers. It is actually good that Snickers is "fighting back" a little as long as it doesn't become dangerous because this will help put the cat in her place and help them work out their differences.  They are fighting for the "top dog" (or cat heh) position.  They will eventually get to a point where the "pecking order" is set unless something major disrupts that order.  It is hard to know though until they work things out whether she will continue to be so violent or calm down some.  There are some cat pheremone plug ins and sprays that you can buy at pet stores that can help cats remain more calm as well.      
Thanks, I should look into redirected aggression, because that's exactly what's going on! The first time (which was about 3 weeks after we brought her in) was definately about the babies, but ever since it's "redirected aggression" that she's targeted snickers over other stuff.
Unfortunately the fights have started to get really violent and Snickers is terrified of her now, and has always been around cats this is the first time he's ever been mean to a cat. But yes, as he's getting more and more annoyed and fighting back I can tell she's starting to get frightened after the attacks too.
I just hope no one gets seriously hurt because I tried moving the kittens to an area where snickers can't get to them and she insisted on moving them back. Guess she realizes that snickers isn't gonna harm them..