Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
three year old wants to be naked

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

three year old wants to be naked

Is it normal for a three year old boy to want to be naked all of the time? My three year old nephew lives next door. My Husband and I visit my Sister-n-law and nephew almost every day. He is almost always naked (90% of the time). He even goes outside naked and has urinated outside. He fondles his genitals and occasionally his rectum.It dosen't make any difference how many people are around. His mom dosen't seem worried about it(boys will be boys). But I have never been around this kind of behavior before, and it disturbs me. I don't know if this is normal behavior. Please give me your opinion.
OMG, sound like my David, he was naked almost all the time, we usually made him wear pullups or underpants, and he had to put on "bottoms" to go outside.
Young children are uninhibited, they do what feels good, It feels good to be naked and to mastrubate, HOWEVER even young kids need to know theres a time and place for everything.i would tell mine if you want to touch your privates , you should be in private, thats ok to do but only in your bedroom alone. I wouldnt let a older kid run around naked in the house but see no harm in a toddler in his home..If she keeps letting him go outside to pee, and mastrubate, I thin k sooner or later shes gonna have social services knocking on her door.
most people though understand what manners are- and that is just considering the feelings of "the other people"- but maybe since you are family and are there every day she thinks of you all differently.

I would say it is just bad manners to make someone else uncomfortable when visiting your home- I don't know if I would go back if it made me uncomfortable- til she wants to clothe him- I really don't want to even watch a toddler digging around in his rear end- but the urinating outside IS just a boy thing. I know lots of moms that find out if their boys are ready to potty train by encouraging this fun way- but still it was in the backyard- not the front yard to show ALL to the neighbors....
Boys are creatures of convenience, and also, if clothes feel constricting,..."off with them" they might think!  It feels good to be nude, and young kids have not always learned to be ashamed of their nakedness itself -- a good thing!

If his parents have had difficulty with keeping his clothes on him, maybe they are allowing him to be that way...in the home setting, among themselves.  That's his limits perhaps while he grows past the phase maybe.  Peeing behind a tree or elsewhere outside is a convenience.  I have seen that a child of say 5 - 6 yrs old will be engrossed at play so that by the time the idea kicks in that a bathroom break MUST be done it is either too late to make it in time or nearly so.  A simply childlike solution is to elliminate the "unnecessary" absence from playtime by not having to go far to pee, lol.

On the matter of fondling his rectum as you say,...are there dogs or cats around...or other animals?  If he is playing nude outside (or inside) and pets are around, internal parasites are a possibility.  They can cause anal itching & teeth-grinding at night, also.  A natural health store or a doctor may both have something to clear out parasites.  Americans do not realize how common parasitic infestations of humans still is.
I'm a dad of 3 boys, and everything u have in ur post is totally normal. My boys love being naked, also fondling themselves genitals and rectum. Like u said boys will be boys. What feels good feels good. The peeing outside thing my oldest does every now and then. I tell him no but he's still at that careless age. If u feel offended by it why don't u tell ur sis in law. But in all honesty it is really hard to keep kids dressed, even if guests are in the house. Good luck.