thumb sucker
My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and still sucking her thumb. I was committed to taking it away by age 2, and a week before her 2nd birthday I thought we finally made a brake through, but just 3 Weeks later, her biological father abused her (strangulation) and when I picked her up and saw the broken blood vessels i'm her face I took her straight to the ER. the stress from the hospital and doctors and late night caused her to start sucking it again. I couldn't stand to take it away, at that point I couldn't even find out in myself to tell her "no" to anything, because I just was so sad for her and what she went through. 7 months later, she is trying very hard to kick the habit, and i'm always reminding her, but nothing is working. She is going through so many changes, from me getting a new job and leaving daycare, to moving, and I am now pregnant. I just feel like it will never be "the right time" and we will never get her to stop :-(
She is doing it for stress relief.  Until there are fewer stressful situations in her life such as moving, leaving familiar daycare, new sibling coming, etc., she will need stress relief wherever she gets it.  I think I'd let it go.  Can you move her to a binky?
I would definitely be willing to try switching to a binkey, I will pick some up after work. I agree that it is stress related, we are trying very hard to get into a routine before our baby arrives so that the change is a little easier. Thank you
I'd just let it alone.  There are far bigger issues to deal with then thumb sucking right now.  Abuse is huge, you working full time, adjusting to daycare and now a new baby?  Wow.  

My son is a thumb sucker, and about the same age as your daughter.  He just had his first dentist appointment.  They told me that thumb sucking at this age is not an issue, just something to be aware of as they get older and their adult teeth begin to come in.  She is a long way off from that.  Let her be with this, and it can be worked on at a later date when her world is again more stable.

I also want to say that I wish you well.  I can only imagine what you, as her mother, have been through in this last while.  You sound like a strong women and I wish you the absolute best in your healing.  Take care.
Just dont let it go on too long... im almost 22 and i still suck my thumb. i have tried to stop many times but i always end up with my thumb in mouth. ive done it since my fathers funeral. i was 3 months old... so i believe its still linked to that. i do it when tired or ill. Comfort.. Im sure you dont want your child to be my age and still a thumb sucker... its easy to get rid of dummys but you cant get rid of thumbs... :/ xx
I'm sorry you and your daughter went through this!
My son is obsessed with his "binky". He's just a few months younger than your daughter. He was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 16 months (none of us slept for over a year!!) and then around that time, I put him into daycare, and he started getting ear infection after ear infection.. For four months straight.. I ended up pulling him out of daycare, and he had surgery to put ear tubes in 5 months ago. He has been SO much healthier since the surgery, but it did traumatize him :(
Myself, I feel that he'll get rid of his beloved binky when he's ready.. Though I've received a LOT of flack from family for not taking it away long ago. Oh well.