Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
toddler and his genitals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

toddler and his genitals

my 3 year old has been requesting to take baths with his 1 year old brother. today he started trying to touch his brothers genitals with some toys..we kept telling him to stop ..that it was inappropriate. he then kept trying to touch his own penis. i once again told him he is not allowed to do that. we always stress that he can touch himself in the bath by himself or in his room. i then told him that bad kids touch their brothers wewe's - i know this wasnt the best thing to say. my fiance said that we need a book or something. now first off my 3 year old goes to his dads every other weekend so i get worried that perhaps someone over there is touching him
or is this all just curious behavior and i shouldnt worry? if so how do i approach this and what is the best thing to say to my 3 year old?
thanks
It is of course curiosity but maybe give them seperate baths or it will continue if he touches himself I think its a good idea to ignore it, dont make any issue of it ,at all, he is only checking himself out and thats pretty normal with guys....but obvously you dont want him doing it to others, so let him have his own bath.
Is ok there's no problem it's normal I have to sons 1, 8 and 1, 7 they masterbate each other it's cool they have a close relationship , I like it that way!!!
sorry but i am totally shocked by 1234567890retards reply - firstly 8 & 7 year olds should not be masterbating (masturbating), they should not even be aware that their privates are used for pleasure, this is something that happens much later. Secondly, why are they being allowed to do it to each other. I belive this is just encouraging early sexual behaviour and soon they will be asking their friends to do it to them when their brother is not available.

Yes boys are very attached to their private parts, and it should not be made an ugly thing if they do touch it, but they must be taught that they do it alone in the privacy of their own rooms. My 5 year old has always been touching himslef and now he has learnt that it is not appropriate to do it in public and he has stopped. he does not masterbate himself as he does not know what that is, but he does like having his hand near by and likes playing with the loose skin. but that is as far as it goes.

one thing about having a close relationship with your brother - but you dont need to play with each others privates to have a close relationship.