Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
toddler tonsillectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

toddler tonsillectomy

I am the mother of a 34 month old girls who underwent a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy and ear tube operation exactly 12 days ago...recovery went fairly well considering...but i noticed that in the last three days she has become EXTREMELY defiant and is having wild tantrums for everything and for nothing and seems completely out of it as if having a night terror during the day...is this comon after taking codeine maybe? i stopped the codeine on day 5 and gave her regular tylenol every 4-6 hours until day 8...that's when the tantrums began especially before nap or  bedtime...and she is not sleeping much since she cannot seem to wind down...I am desperate and don't know what to do for my daughter!!!! i will make an appointment with her doctor as soon as possible but need some advice or comforting words until then...pleeease...
thanks for you time!
Tags: tonsillectomy, tantrums, surgery and tantrums
I think there are probably a few things it could be.  Yes, a reaction to codeine is one of them for certain.  The other is that she may still be recovering from the medications used to put her under for the surgery itself.  I always have a bad reaction to them and it can actually take me several weeks to feel normal again.

If it seems like night terrors, the other thing that comes to mind is that the whole procedure was just really scary for her.  I had my tonsils/adnoids out at 5 and I still remember how scared I felt, regardless of the reassurance I was provided.  Heck, surgery for adults is scary, let alone a young toddler.  If that is the case, then she will eventually let go of it.  Just continue to reassure her it was a one time thing, and she doesn't have to do it again. To be honest with you, if this is day 12 and she has been several days without the medication, this sounds like a more likely scenario to me.

I think it's good to see the Dr. in case this is a medication reaction.  Lot's of people are sensitive to codeine and other medications.  All the best, I hope she is feeling well again soon.