weening off the pacifier
My little boy turned 3 in february and still has his paci. We have a little girl due in a few weeks is there anyone that can help me get him off the paci please help.
Sorry no advice, but I'm interested in some good ideas too, as I can't get rid of the pacifier for my 2 1/2 year old.
I tried cutting a tiny hole in the end of the pacifier, and it WORKED he hated it! But I made the mistake of only doing it to a couple of them, and he soon discovered that he had other pacifiers that didn't have holes in them :(
Honestly you should wait until the baby is born. If the new baby ends up a pacifier baby as well, your son will revert back to it anyways, or end up with jealousy issues if you don't let him have it.
I think you should avoid associating the loss of the paci with the arrival of the baby in your son's mind.  He might dump the paci on his own after a while, especially when he realizes the baby uses one and no "big boys" like himself that he sees around the park, etc. use one, but I would not try to use that as a shaming technique or anything.  In other words, soft-pedal any notion that puts pressure on him to let it go, because the harder you try the harder he'll hold on.  Your best posture is sort of a bored indifference about the paci, to the extent that you don't exactly know where it is, and he has to find it himself if he wants it.  At three, he might be amenable to a little talk --  "Honey, I think you're getting a little big for the paci, but if you want it you can keep using it.  However, you are in charge of it.  You're the one who needs to find it if you want it, and you need to wash it and not lose it.  If you lose it, I'm not going to look for it.  OK?"  Maybe if you handle it in that offhand of a way, he might begin to treat it offhandedly as well after a while.
When my son was 2 I just took it ...it only took him a couple nights to wine through it and he has been perfectly fine ever since .....but don't keep any around just in case ...if your going to take it take them all and through them all away otherwise you may do what I did and I gave it back a few times lol I think he did better loosing it than I did