Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Activity mat: they use them until how old?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Hubby wants to buy an other activity mat for downstairs so he does not always have to carry the one we already have.

Question: when do babies stop using activity mats?

Benoit is already 5 months old (well he will be on Monday) so I am not sure it's a good idea to invest in an other activity mat if he is only going to use it for a couple of months.
I am sure every baby is different, and my little guy (my only) is only 11 weeks old but cannot get enough of his mat =)  He spends hours on it every day kicking his feet to the music and swinging at the toys.  My niece is 10 months old and still uses hers as well.  I actually planned on buying an exersaucer in a month or two once Franky is a little older to see how he likes that.  Thought it might be good to help him learn to stand while he has his fun too.  
if you were to get another one i would suggest finding one that can be used when he starts crawling as well, they make ones that is like a longer rectangle mat with the things hanging over that when he starts crawling and stuff he can crawl under and sit up and play with, that way you get more use out of them. Personally my little brothers that i helped raise loved theres until they were about 10-12 months.
Ryder loved his as well and it was a wonderful toy for him until about 6 months. As soon as he started crawling he kind of lost interest.  Every baby is different though.  He had the type that Shayne described.  It was wonderful up until that point though.
Thanks ladies. We went ahead and bought an other activity mat. He is 5 months old and does roll yet so I don't think he is going to crawl anytime soon so hopefully he'll be able to use his new mat for a while!
Melissa_71 Merry christmas to all! Comment
Dec 24
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 19
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 16