Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Allergy? Please help =(
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Allergy? Please help =(

I posted this in the children's allergy forum as well, but it doesn't look like there is much traffic there.  Any input would be appreciated.  Also, since I have posted here before and I got some replies in response to Franky's fussiness/gas just wanted to add that I have tried everything under the sun.  Gas drops, gripe water, colic calm, I swaddle him, walk him in a stroller for 2 hours per day, take him on drives, get the air out of his tummy, burp him every 2 ounces during feedings, warm baths/water on the tummy, warm towels.  Some things calm him temporarily, but gas is still there.

Hi Everyone,
My son is 11 weeks old, and has always been a very fussy/gassy baby from day one.  I had some complications with breastfeeding and switched to formula when he was a few weeks old.  First one he was on didn't work out too well he was extremley constipated on top of the gas and we switched.  Now he has been on Gerber Good Start Gentle Plus for about a month.  He is still fussy/gassy, but seems to go to the bathroom daily so I haven't thought much of it.  Past few days he has been almost inconsolable and I have noticed a rash on his arms and legs.  The rash is not visable, it feels more like dry skin and it's little flesh colored bumps when you look at it from an angle.  I have not used anything new whatsoever.

Doctor said she didn't think his digestion issues were an allergy because he doesn't spit up, loves to eat, and is gaining tons of weight (he weighs 14 lbs 8'3 at birth).  He didn't have the rash at his last appointment.  Doctor dismissed the thought of an allergy to milk because of this.  Now that he has this rash I am starting to wonder?  Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.  Also, the doctor was saying switching him to soy would probably make his gas and constipation worse?  But, she said I can give it a try if I want.  Another thought of hers is that he has an immature digestive system.  I can use which ever formula I want, he will still be fussy.  According to her he will outgrow this by 4 months or so, and it will be the formula I am using at that time that I will think cured him.  His next well check is not until Thanksgiving and it's Sunday so doctors is closed, and I plan on calling tomorrow.  

One more thing is I know if my baby were not in pain he would not be fussy.  He has times during the day sometimes hour stretches at the most where he is all smiles and happy/laughs.  Tummy rumbles, he passes gas and cries.  His gas smells like something died, I never thought newborns could have farts that stinky.  His stools are most of the time dark greenish and sort of thick.

Any thoughts, imputs, experiences would be appreciated.  Thanks =)

Some babies really are just colicky and nothing will help them. They just have to outgrow it. But, I would give soy a try. My last baby was allergic to the milk based formulas. He threw up everytime he ate but allergies can manifest themselves differently. I don't think Frankie should be having rotten smelling farts, especially from formula.
I have only 1 child and haven't experienced this personally, so not much help there.  The one thing I can say that I have learned is that no one (not the pediatrician or anyone else) knows your baby like you do.  It's almost like we have a built in 6th sense with them or something.  So it you think something isn't right and may be an allergy, I would force the issue. Perhaps tryi switching to a soy based formula?

Also, Ryder was not overly colicky, just on occasion.  However, he has super smelly farts as well...I know what you mean by smelling like something died.  He also screamed when he passed it.  Still has stinky farts..and I mean horrid!    Stools sound normal to me...Ryder's turned that color when I switched him to formula from breast milk as well.  Once a day is great (or so I was told).

I would honestly take him back to the Pediatrician.  I know some infants get colick that they eventually grow out of (a great book by the way is "The Happiest Baby on the Block), but if you think something might be wrong, go with that.  

I hope he is feeling better soon!  Poor little guy, and poor Mommy too.  There is nothing more upsetting then not being able to help them.  Take care.
Liam has really nasty smelling farts but I thought they were because he is breastfed. My other kids were formula babies and they never had gas like that. I wouldn't say they smell like something died, but they are very strong.
Ryder had them on breast milk too.  I actually always thought it was a good thing, because it happens so often, I just assumed that was the reason for his lack of colick.  Lol, boy we do talk about everything on these forums don't we....discussing our childrens farts and exactly how smelly they are...lol.

Heather, I really would take him back though...maybe he does need soy based formula.  It must be really hard hon, I wish you and him both well!
Thanks ladies I have a message into his doctor who is on vacation.  In the meantime, I have been looking up rashes it looks like it could be eczema which is common in babies because their skin is so dry.  So, I bought some Aveeno Eczema Therapy for babies and have been using that the past couple of days hope it is giving him some relief.  Now when he fusses and it's not the stinky farts I think it's his rash itching him.  It doesn't help that it is 95 degrees where I live this week.  Typically, near San Francisco we have very mild weather so no AC in my house.  I am sure that is not helping the rash.  Poor little guy he is so happy when nothing is bothering him.  I can't wait to talk to his doc I may even call and see if a collegue of hers can call me back ASAP.  I am hesitant about the soy because if he is not allergic to cows milk and it is just an immature digestive track it will be harder for him to digest.  I would rather his doc run some tests first to see....  she seems to have a lack of concern which I don't like too much.  If she doesn't try to help me get to the bottom of this I may be switching.  
To add to the comments about the stinky farts when the baby farts and then cries my husband just doesn't understand.  He tells the baby "dude I don't get it guys love to fart they laugh not cry" just makes me giggle LOL
Benoit (5 months old) used to have a lot of gas when he was an infant, he would fart a lot - but no smell (breastfed). My husband would do the bicycle with his legs and that would help him pass gas. Also before going to be we would give him a nice warm bath (still do it), it's very relaxing for the tummy.

Benoit did not use to smile much as an infant, that worried us. He does have very bad reflux and he recently was put on Prevacid: the change has been drastic, now he smiles and laughs, even laughs at the cats!

Not sure about the rash, Benoit had some red rash on his face at some point because of the heat and he also had baby acne.

Good luck, it's very frustrating to watch your baby in pain and not knowing how to help him! Yes don't hesitate to switch doctor, it is so important to have someone you trust - we quickly ditched our first baby doctor, he was not caring enough.
My 8 year old has excema. Had it off and on since he was a baby. The itching drives him nuts! We had to get a prescription cream.
krichar commented on Moma_Cher's status
5 mins ago
krichar Getting healthy Comment
krichar commented on photo
Sep 20