Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Baby wants to eat all the time
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Baby wants to eat all the time

My little one is 5 weeks old today, and she will not stop drinking the bottle, she will take a full 4 ounces if I let her(than spit up alot), than an hour later she wants more, is she really hungry or could it be gas? She does sleep 3-4 hours between feedings at night, this eating over and over happens in the early mornings and afternoons. Any suggestions.
  • spitting up (3 replies):
    i had my baby at 32 weeks gestation...she spent 15 days ...[more]
Babies love to suck and can take more from a bottle than they need because they like to suck and the milk comes out so easy.  3oz is a normal intake for that age, but every baby is different.  Have you tried giving her a pacifier after 3 ounces or after the 1st bottle.  It is also possible that she has reflux.  Babies can confuse stomach pains for hunger.  Does she spit up a lot, squirm when eating, arch her back often, get fussy - especially in the evening, or drool a lot?  If she has reflux, then you should talk to her pediatrician.  My son started on zantac at 8 weeks and it really helped his reflux.
My son ate every hour or two until he was almost 3 months old.  I nursed until 5 months, so not sure on the amount, but he was constantly hungry.  It was like he was always on a growth spurt.  But, in his case, it was normal and healthy.  He too would spit up a tonne, but didn't have reflux..he was just a hungry little bear..lol.  Eventually he slowed down...and mommy got some sleep..lol.  Just a different type of situation.  I would most definately mention it to his Dr.  
krichar commented on krichar's status
1 hr ago
Melissa_71 Crunch time is here. Comment
krichar commented on Shannon79's status