Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Cluster feeding during day then sleeping alot at night?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Faith is a little over a week old and for the first 4-5 days she would clusterfeed 24/7 then she started clusterfeeding all day then only waking up every 4-5 hours at night to eat. is this normal or should i start setting an alarm every 3 hours to wake her up to eat? shes being supplemented but only gets 2 formula feedings a day, one in the middle of the day and one at about 9 pm then she bf's again around 11-12pm before i go to bed.
Some people would say yes to setting an alarm.  But after having 5 kids I would say NO, as long as she isn't going past 5 hours I would let her sleep.  Some babies just have different schedules.  As long as she's gaining weight and healthy I would stick with what she seems happy with.
lillian is just the opposite-she cluster feeds at night and sleeps 4-5 hour stretches during the day.  pediatrician said the overall picture (number of feedings, diapers, etc) is more important and as long as they are gaining weight it is fine
Did you go to the ped when Faith was 1 week old? If so, is her weight good? Some babies eat enough during the day and don't have to wake up as frequently at night. As long as her weight is good then I would say don't worry about it.
No she didnt have a 1 week appointment, i had to take her in everyday after we left the hospital until she was 4 days old because her billruben levels were borderline for Jaundice and she weighed 5 lb 11oz with her birth weight of 6 lb 3 oz. She was originally down to 5lb 6 oz. She has her two week appointment the end of this week so i think im going to keep the schedule she's setting until then and if her weights good then ill let her stick to it and if its low then ill start waking her up. I weighed her on my kitchen scale(for weighing flour etc for baking instead of measuring cups) which is pretty sensitive and she weighs 6 lb 6 oz. im not sure how accurate it is or how it weighs compared to the docs scale, it weighs all my food accurately (4 sticks of butter weighs to be 1 lb of butter like it should) so it cant be too far off.
Melissa_71 Merry christmas to all! Comment
Dec 24
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 19
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 16