Confused on eating & sleeping schedule...
Hello ladies.  I am having a bit of a confusing time and hoping some of you might be able to help me out here. Most of it revolves around creating a schedule for baby.

First off is sleeping...we have a really good bedtime routine that is working well.  At the same time every night (or right around the same time) I give him a bath, read him a book and give him a bottle and he pretty much goes right to sleep.  His waking in the night changes from night to night..sometimes once, sometimes twice.  For the most part he has a bottle, a cuddle and straight back to sleep.  On nights there are 2 feedings, with the earlier one I am slowly decreasing the amount I give him...it seems to be working as he is often only waking once now.  My problem starts in the morning..he wakes at different times. Anywhere from 6 until 8 (and the other morning 10, but he was sick and hurting and we had been up much of the night).  Should I be waking him at 7 every morning (if he is not yet up?)  in order to create more of a schedule.

Second question is around naps. He typically takes 1 or 2 a day.  I have tried making them at consistent times, but he is just not tired at the same time everyday.  If I try to get him to go down even if not tired, the little monkey will just play in his crib..doesn't even cry most of the time, just plays and babbles.  

Third is around feeding schedules.  With him feeling better, his appetite has returned.  We are back to 2 solid meals a day and about 22-25 ounces of formula a day.    The times are the challenge.  When he first wakes up he is almost never hungry.  Usually we just change his diaper and play for an hour..then he wants to eat.  So I give him a bottle first (as I was instructed..is this correct still?)  He won't eat solids right after, so usually it's at least an hour or two before I can get him to eat his cereal, etc.  So now it is often 10 or 11 am.  This of course is making it impossible to add that third meal.  But if I decrease his formula, he isn't getting enough...see my dilemma?

Sorry such a long post, but I worry I am doing damage by not creating a schedule for him.  It doesn't bother me at all...but is it good for him?

Lastly, how and when did you introduce finger foods.  He is doing baby biscuits well, but when I try to get him to eat pasta or any other finger type food he has absolutely no interest.  Should I just leave it alone for now?

He is just over 8 months, healthy and meeting his milestones...should I just go with what he is doing?

Thanks so much...as you can see I tend to worry a bit...lol.

You made me realize just how little I remember from my other kids. LOL. Other than the bedtime routine, I think the other stuff all depends on your comfort level. If you don't need him to have a routine, I wouldn't worry about it. As he gets older you will start to see a pattern to his day. You made me cringe when you suggested waking him up. LOL. Liam is such a poor sleeper - I'd shoot somebody if they woke him up on purpose. I think I'd let him sleep unless you have somewhere to be. Otherwise you might have a cranky Ryder.
I'm sure all babies are different with this, but I've found out with Braeden that even if I try to "schedule" his day, he goes by whatever schedule he wants to.  He's pretty much set when he's hungry and tired, and not a lot that I do changes that. He's always hungry and ready for a nap at 8:30 AM, whether he's gotten up at 6:15 (on workdays) or 8:00 (on weekends).  And he's ready for bed by 8:30 even if he takes a late nap and doesn't get up til 7:45!  So I could schedule all I want, and it wouldnt' make a difference!  I figure once he gets a little older maybe I'll try again, but since there's really no reason for me to try to change his schedule, I'm just going by what he needs each day.
I agree with what KarenDiane said, unless its a problem for you i wouldnt worry about it too much. His schedule will even out the older he gets and you will notice a pattern. with DS i still have to fluctuate his schedule for nap and bedtime depending on the time he got up, some days he just sleeps more depending on what he's done the day before (for example worn himself out by playing alot). Its definitely more of a pattern then it was at 8 mo though and he's almost 2 now.  What I tried to do was have an average amount of time he would be up before trying to put him down for a nap, eat lunch etc. I wouldnt worry to much about it though
Thanks everyone.  It really isn't an issue for me at all, but once again I start reading about "schedules" and worry I am doing something wrong by not having a strict one.  But he's a pretty happy little guy, so I guess it's ok.  I appreciate all the words of wisdom!!
No schedule here, except at night. Benoit used to have naps schedules when he was younger and was sleeping swaddled, but these good old times are gone! We consider ourselves lucky if he naps at all.

And I would never wake him up in the morning to keep to a schedule.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
Jun 28
krichar commented on KTowne's status
Jun 28
krichar commented on photo
Jun 28