Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Excersaucer at which age?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Excersaucer at which age?

Is my 5month old baby boy too young to be placed on a excersaucer? He can support his neck without assistance and can sit with support.

Thank you!!
My DS started using the exersaucer at 3.5 months. He loved it right away! As long as the baby can support his head, I think you are fine. My son could sit supported but he was still a little wobbly. I used to roll receiving blankets so that he would stay secure.
My boy started to us his at 3.5-4 months old. He is 4.5 months old and started to enjoy it.
I started at about 4 months.  Like the others said, as long as he has good head control your fine.  Also, make sure he is on tippy toe on the bottom, not flat footed or "dangling" lol, and best not to leave him in it too long at a stretch for now.  But Ryder loved his...still does as a matter of fact.  And it's great for keeping crawlers in one place for a bit if you need to get something done..lol.
Thanks for the input ladies.. Appreciate it as always!!

Adgal: What you said about him being on tippy toes.. I have never heard that before. Would you mind explaining that a little bit more?

Thanks again.
Sure!  I am not exactly certain as to why, but apparantly it's not good for them to be in it flat footed.  (I think it has something to do with them loving to bounce as it's the same rule for jolly jumpers).  Anyway, all the ones I looked at could really easily be adjusted for their height so that they were not flat footed in it.  Our's has  settings.  He of course started out on the lowest one, and as he got taller, I just put it up a notch..he is on the second one now.  Hope that made sense!!  But do make sure you get one with the multiple settings (I never saw one that had more then 3) so it grows with him and you don't wind up with it not being usable too quickly.  I just got ours at SuperStore for around $65.00.  He absolutely loves it!
that's right..when they're flat-footed, eventually they can push hard enough to jump high enough to bounce out or at least bounce out enough to unbalance the whole contraption...so flat-footed right NOW wouldn't much matter, but once he starts getting leg strength enough to bounce it can be a hazard. tip toes allows them to bounce without getting TOO much "bounce". and if they're hanging it can put too much strain on their back/neck muscles...so if he's not quite touching, make sure to put some firm blankets under his feet or even a pillow. like I said, at this age, "jumping out" of the exersaucer is not really a concern/.

My daughter used her jump'n'play for months and months and LOVED it...and it was VERY handy to keep her in one place when she was mobile and I needed to do something, lol. we would put her in there and you could hear WHAM WHAM WHAM all over the house from all the toys shaking at once...she used to go crazy!
Luckily DH's aunt has bought one for my son. They live an hour away so just haven't had a chance to go over to pick it up.
I miss not being able to buy shoes, clothes and a TV along with your eggs and bread lol!!! SuperStore is not that big around here like other provinces I've lived. We go to No Frills for groceries and they don't have the variety like SuperStore.
Thank you for your response.. sorry for the delayed response as I couldn't get ont he computer y'day. My son has become a very light sleeper and the "clickety clack" when I'm typing wakes him up!!! Go figure!!  
Thank you for your response. That makes perfect sense.
I can't wait to get the excersaucer and see what his reaction is.
So far he seems to only like the bouncy. Can't leave him for more than 5mins on the swing as one day I went to the bathroom and came back to find him leaning out of the swing trying to pick up a rattle he just dropped! I almost had a heart attack. lol!!
Oh i know exactly what you mean! my daughter started to sit sideways in her swing (despite being strapped in!) and I kept thinking she was going to get her head squished in the frame....so we moved on to the Bumbo after that lol.
Melissa_71 Merry christmas to all! Comment
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 19
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 16