Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
How much did you one month old eat?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

How much did you one month old eat?

Faith just turned a month old today(yay!) and i wanted to exclusively breastfeed but unfortunately since my right breast is underdeveloped (meaning it doesnt have as many milk ducts as it should and is a good 2 sizes smaller then my left) and it doesnt produce enough. I've been trying to get my left to compensate with no luck. I've been supplementing since about the time my milk came in, her ped recommended it since her weight wasnt gaining back very well and she was borderline jaundice. I know you can BF from just one breast but with a two year old, i can't exactly BF all day and when DD would empty my breast she would get really fussy and wouldnt relatch even though it was obvious she was still hungry. I plan on talking to a LC soon about what else i can do to up my supply on my left side so hopefully i can exclusively BF like i wanted to. I feed her until she refuses to relatch and then i give her a bottle to fill her the rest of the way up. Then i pump as much as i can, drink a ton of water, i'm going to get fenugreek and blessed thistle this week.

Ok sorry for the long explanation but i was wondering at one month how much formula were your kids drinking? If were out and i'm unable to BF at all DD will drink 3-4 oz's no problem. and if i BF then formula she drinks about 2-3 ozs.(every 2-3 hrs) She has pretty minimal spit up, with 3-4 ozs maybe a mouthful of spit up on average every ounce when i burp her and she doesnt really spit up at all when i BF.  
She now weighs 6lb15oz according to my scale at home, at her 2 week she was 6lb 5 oz and was 6lb 3oz at birth and she had gone down to 5lb 8ozs in the initial loss of weight after birth.
any and all advice and comments would be great, thanks ladies!!
Tags: one month, eat
1 Comment
I would get the herbs in and that will help as well as Motilium you buy off line or you can get reglan form the dr. Now the thing is that as long as you are feeding formula you will not ever produce enough milk to exclusivly BF> It is supply and demand and you would have to pump in between your BF to up you milk supply. You said that you do not have time to feed all the time though, so IDK. I have BF 4 and they ate anywhere from 40 min to 2 hours all day and night at that age. I think that if you do formula too that she may need to eat less and more frequently so she doe snto spit up. She might only taek in the 2 oz and that is fine as long as she eats enough in the 24 hour period even if she is exclusivly frm fed. Now the dr telling you to suppliment with formula from the begining has made it hard for you to get the milk yo need in.

ZI had my first set of kids 13,15 and 17 month apart. I would suggest a ring sling to carry the baby and the closer she is to you the more liekly she will nurse more often en sleeping, that might get her on board. that will also help having hands free for your other one. That is how I got through as like many mamas
Melissa_71 Crunch time is here. Comment
krichar commented on Shannon79's status
krichar commented on Moma_Cher's status