Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
How much weight are babies supposed to gain by 2 months?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Faith is 8 weeks old today and her 2 month appt is next week, i was wondering how much babies are supposed to gain by then. unfortunately she is mainly formula fed, since one of my breasts won't produce hardly anything and when she empties the other she just screams and won't latch back on, i have breast hypoplasia and im one of the %60 with breat hypoplasia that doesnt produce enough milk to exclusively breastfeed. It tore me apart but after seeing her scream because she wasnt getting enough and not gaining fast enough i understood that i had to give her formula for her sake. wasnt my first choice but atleast she's getting what breastmilk i can give her.
So my question is she was 6lb 3 oz at birth and 6lb 5 oz at her two week check. She is now 8lb 13 oz, according to my electronic kitchen scale that i use for weighing baking ingredients, its never let me down when weighing accurately.  Does it sound like she is gaining enough or too much?
weeks 0-17 they should gain 5-7oz a week and gain 1" a month

weeks 17-26 4-5oz a week and 1" a month

weeks 26-52 2-4oz and .5" a month

breastfed babies tend to gain more the first 6 months then gain slower then formula fed babies as formula fed babies hold water weight.

they look at the babies growth curve if they are gaining properly, no matter what percentile they are in it is just not good to fall off thier growth curve. They have a growth chart in the trackers here on you profile for your little ones. I have one for my littel guy but haver it set to private.

I think she is on the small side and should be gaining more then she is. Just remember that the American accadamy of pediatrics and worls health organization says to not introduce foods including cereals till age 6 months!! There is no factual eveidence it will help your littel one gain and in fact the formula and breastmilk has more calories and nutrients then foods and to give foods will actually be tkaing vital nutrients for growth and brain developemt away. I say this as some dr's will say to give foods if abby is too big or too small but they are going AGAINST what they are supposed to follow!
apparently my kitchen scale is way off from her wiggling, cause she was weighed at 9 weeks and weighed 10.4 and she is going up on the charts fine. way to over worry myself lol
Melissa_71 Merry christmas to all! Comment
Dec 24
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 19
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 16