Infants and yogurt
First of all, I apologize if this seems like a silly question - my oldest son (now 4 years old) didn't have yogurt until he was well over a year old.  I've been thinking about how to add variety (and extra good fats) to my younger son (8 months nearly 9 months old)'s diet due to the fact that he's a bit on the small side and slow to gain weight - but healthy - and I thought that maybe I could start giving him a bit of yogurt now and then.

I'm not talking about introducing cow's milk just yet, of course, because I know that's not necessarily recommended until they're closer to a year old - G is still breastfed and takes about 4ozs. of forumula a day via medicine dropper since he won't readily drink it in a bottle or cup...that's a whole story in itself, lol!)  

Anyway, I'm assuming that the milk solids in yogurt wouldn't be a problem for a baby of this age?  Our older son eats the Yoplait Minigos, so I was thinking of trying one of those.

Is this "ok"?  Thanks :)
Ryder has been getting yogurt for a month or two now, and it's one of his favorite foods (he is just 9 months now).  I was recently at a nutrition and feeding clinic for babies and the nutritionist (she specializes in infant/baby/child nutrition) had no problem with it at all.  I have tried the minigos which were fine, but usually just give him the same type I am eating.  No problem at all, and as I said, it's probably his favorite food now.  BTW..Ryder is also small for his age, and I do think that the fat (it's good fat) in it has helped with healthy weight gain.  
Sorry, just wanted to mention this...you are Canadian right?  I am not certain where you are, but check into the clinics and programs at your local Public Health Clinic.  Ours here has several on feeding and nutrition, and I find them excellent!  Especially for our smaller guys...Good luck!!
i wondered the same thing with DS
hers's the websites i found the most helpful

http://www.  wholesomebabyfood  .com/tipYogurt.htm

Gerbermakes a yogurt for babies. I have benn giving it to my now 9 month old since she was about 7 months. She has had no problems and her Dr. was fine w/ it when I told her.
Thanks, ladies - this is  a big help!

adgal - yes, I'm Canadian....I'm in Ontario.  I never even thought about our public health dept. (duh!), I should look into that :)
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
Jun 22
krichar commented on Sheaby's status
Jun 19
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
Jun 19