Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Infants and yogurt
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Infants and yogurt

First of all, I apologize if this seems like a silly question - my oldest son (now 4 years old) didn't have yogurt until he was well over a year old.  I've been thinking about how to add variety (and extra good fats) to my younger son (8 months nearly 9 months old)'s diet due to the fact that he's a bit on the small side and slow to gain weight - but healthy - and I thought that maybe I could start giving him a bit of yogurt now and then.

I'm not talking about introducing cow's milk just yet, of course, because I know that's not necessarily recommended until they're closer to a year old - G is still breastfed and takes about 4ozs. of forumula a day via medicine dropper since he won't readily drink it in a bottle or cup...that's a whole story in itself, lol!)  

Anyway, I'm assuming that the milk solids in yogurt wouldn't be a problem for a baby of this age?  Our older son eats the Yoplait Minigos, so I was thinking of trying one of those.

Is this "ok"?  Thanks :)
Ryder has been getting yogurt for a month or two now, and it's one of his favorite foods (he is just 9 months now).  I was recently at a nutrition and feeding clinic for babies and the nutritionist (she specializes in infant/baby/child nutrition) had no problem with it at all.  I have tried the minigos which were fine, but usually just give him the same type I am eating.  No problem at all, and as I said, it's probably his favorite food now.  BTW..Ryder is also small for his age, and I do think that the fat (it's good fat) in it has helped with healthy weight gain.  
Sorry, just wanted to mention this...you are Canadian right?  I am not certain where you are, but check into the clinics and programs at your local Public Health Clinic.  Ours here has several on feeding and nutrition, and I find them excellent!  Especially for our smaller guys...Good luck!!
i wondered the same thing with DS
hers's the websites i found the most helpful

http://www.  wholesomebabyfood  .com/tipYogurt.htm

Gerbermakes a yogurt for babies. I have benn giving it to my now 9 month old since she was about 7 months. She has had no problems and her Dr. was fine w/ it when I told her.
Thanks, ladies - this is  a big help!

adgal - yes, I'm Canadian....I'm in Ontario.  I never even thought about our public health dept. (duh!), I should look into that :)
Sheaby commented on Who we REALLY are :)...
heather727 commented on Who we REALLY are :)...
plumber43 commented on Who we REALLY are :)...