Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Insecurity or is this normal?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Insecurity or is this normal?

So we had one other episode like this a few months ago, but it's much worse this time.  Ryder is an incredibly social baby...loves people watching and will pretty much go to anyone..trust me, every little old lady in our neighborhood has pretty much adopted him..lol.  Always big smiles for strangers, babble away to them, just super social.

Well all of a sudden he wants nothing to do with anyone.  If I am out of his sight for a second (I can't even go to the bathroom without him) he completely looses his mind...screeching, screaming, complete meltdown time.  This isn't like him at all.  Usually if I need to go to the bathroom or even take a quick shower, I can put him in his excersaucer and he is happy as can be for 10 or 15 minutes.  Not now...and it's not just in his site, he wants to be touching me or on my lap or just right next to him.

Is this normal seperation anxiety, or is he maybe feeling insecure about something?  He and I are always together.  I have left him maybe 4 or 5 times for very short periods, and all but twice was with my husband.  What do you think?
I know that this sudden change can be scary but it is completely normal.  He is at the age that separation anxiety can begin, and this sounds like very typical separation anxiety.  It can be hard because it is more challenging for you to get any time to yourself, but he will outgrow it soon enough, and trust me, it is not a sign that anything is wrong. You are a great mom.  
I think it's a phase of seperation anxiety. It'll pass in a few days (or weeks).
We thought Seth was a anti-social baby as he started to scream when people pays attention to him. Then just one day he decided people are not that bad after all and now he smiles with every one and even goes to people he think are awesome!!
I am sure it's just the matter of time Ryder figures out mommy is only going to be gone for  a few minutes.
May be you have already heard this; I read Peek-a-boo is great for them to get over that anxiety. When they see mommy's face gone for a few seconds and it reappears with a high pitched "pick a boo" it is supposed to build their confidence that you are not leaving them forever when you go the bathroom. That's because kids have no sense of time.

Sorry I was rambling.. this time changed has screwd my sleep. Hope you got what I was trying to say.  
I agree, I remember my kids going through similar phases. Eventually Ryder will understand that you always come back.
This is all normal. Trinity is the same way so I looked it up. It's just another mommy phase. They will drift in and out of this phaze for the first 2 years. Enjoy it, it won't last long.
Thanks ladies.  Today he seems back to normal..lol.  Just when something changes...it changes again.  

Ladybug, thanks for the suggestion on peek a boo.  I played it with him for awhile last night and this morning...he just shrieks with laughter.  He likes it when I hide around the edge of the couch and peek out at him..laughs and laughs.  I'll keep it up with him.

I am still a bit worried about our upcoming outing though...we have DH's company Christmas Party on the 10th and I am leaving him with my best friend.  He knows her very well,,she is auntie to him.  I left him with her once before for 2 hours and it was fine..this will be a bit longer though.  Lol, he will probably handle it better then I will!!  
Just to reassure you - when little ones experience separation anxiety, it is almost always contained to the moment of separation and a few minutes after.  I have never met a baby who was not completely fine and all smiles a few minutes after their mom left.  So if he does cry, try not to get too upset (I am being completely hypocritical now because I know we all get upset), because it really will be over quick and he will have a great time.  And, yes he will likely handle it better than you - lol!  Motherhood is such an intense experience, isn't it? I never knew that it would be possible to experience such strong and different emotions all at the same time - joy, happiness, complete adoration, pride, worry, guilt, despair etc.  Good luck and have a great time.
Melissa_71 Merry christmas to all! Comment
Dec 24
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 19
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 16