Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
My DS won't pick up his food.. how to teach him
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

My DS is great eater. he eats solids very well. We have just started introducing finger foods. Although he will stick all non-food items in his mouth, he does not attempt to put the finger foods in his mouth. he just pushes them off his tray. If I pick up a piece of food, he will follow my fingers with his mouth. How do I teach him to put the food in his mouth? I have tried holding his hand and showing him,but he fights me holding his hand when he is holding something else. Or, is this a phase and eventually he will just do it?

Thanks so much for any advice!
Tags: eat, food, pick up
  • Finger foods (10 replies):
    Baby G is now 10 months old - he'll be 11 months old on ...[more]
1 Comment
Going through the exact same scenario here, and our little guys are what... 3 days apart I think?

Here is what has worked so far.  Have you tried those Baby Mum Mum crackers?  They are a healthy snack and they disolve.  Ryder really loves the banana flavored ones.  I have been giving him those.  Now if I put it in front of him, he will pick it up and eat it.  But I think it's because he recognizes it and loves them so much (it took me first holding them, then putting them in his hand to get this far).  

I am now doing the same thing with pasta ribbons. I give him a few every single day. I sit with him and have been feeding them to him off of his tray.  I also eat a few myself while sitting with him and he watches so intently.  Now I am putting them in his hand and he is starting to eat them that way.  I think it takes a lot of repetition with each food at the beginning..at least it seems to be working here.  

I will be watching this post for other opinions though..again, having very much the same challenge.

Good luck!!  
krichar commented on Risa615's status
krichar commented on mhv's status
Nov 19
krichar commented on photo
Nov 19