Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
My little "beaver"....SIGH
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
85 members

My little "beaver"....SIGH

So just last night, Baby G decided to start chewing on the side of his crib :(  This morning, it looks like a beaver's been gnawing at the side of it.  He's got 8 teeth now and I guess he's just trying to figure out what in the world is edible and what's not.  It's one of the cribs that converts to a double bed, so we'll be sanding it and refinishing it - once we figure out how to deter him from continuing to nibble on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on a similar experience?  My husband has affixed a towel to the side, but G's going to have that thing ripped off of there in about 2 seconds, lol.  

Daniel's crib was one of the recalled drop side Storkcraft ones so we got rid of it....but it was so much better in that the top rail was encased in plastic and, thus, difficult to gnaw....or at least didn't leave tooth marks.
Wow, it's like we have clones of the same children..lol.  Oh yes, we have the same problem.  He also just got his 8th tooth, and no question it gets worse during teething.  Just the other day, a friend told me about plastic caps you can get for the top railings (that seems to be his favorite spot).  I am going to go check out babies r' us, walmart, sears, etc. to see if i can find them.  I know it's all supposed to be non toxic materials, but I worry about him swallowing a big chunk (although it's only little chips he takes out so far).  If you find them, please let me know where, and I will do the same.  We tried the towel as well, it lasted about 10 minutes..ha.  
Thanks, Amanda :)  It's uncanny - and a little eerie - how similar our little men are! ;)  I'll definitely let you know if I find something.  When he got home from work today, my husband actually put a couple of stitches in an old towel and put it over the top rail to hopefully deter Gil for a little while until we can find a more permanent solution!!
those rail protectors are brilliant - a girlfriend of mine has them on her cot. it hasn't stopped the gnawing, but at least bubby isn't going to get splinters!

We have just set up our nursery (5 weeks to go!) and have put these on from the get go!
Me and my DH bought the rail protectors at IKEA - at $4.99 it was quite a bargain.
krichar Getting excited Comment
krichar commented on Shannon79's status
krichar commented on photo