Refusing solids at 8 months old
Hello all!  Up until recently Ryder was doing really well with solids.  I had been able to introduce a fairly wide range of foods and he hasn't been a picky eater at all.  Now, at 8 months he is basically refusing solids.  I can get a few bites into him, then he starts to scream and fuss and refuse to eat more.  I know not to try to force feed, so I haven't made a big deal out of it, but I will admit I am getting concerned.  He has not increased his formula intake during this time, but is eating pretty much the same amount of formula he has for a while.  Any thoughts for me?  He seems otherwise healthy, with the exception of either a small cold or teething...not sure which it is right now.  But that has only been the past few days, and the refusal to eat solids has been going on almost 2 weeks.  

I should mention that since this started I have not tried to introduce any new foods, just reverted back to his previous favorites.  That hasn't worked either.  Thanks for any input!
Hey,
I honestly have no idea about this because i only have a 5 month old and we are just now starting our journey to solids with the all boring "rice cereal " lol. But, i wanted to comment since no one else has yet....my only advice is to ask his pediatrician. I ask mine all sorts of weird stuff lol and i think yours is a very viable question. i would definitely ask because not to freak you out, but it would worry me too. Although, i want to point out that i too think it could be because of teething or maybe just an attitude change? Maybe he's just being a stinker :) and will be back to his old habits soon? for now id say to not make a big deal about it...dont give him attention for it incase it is just an attitude thing (those cheeky 8 month olds) and ask his ped!
I am not sure why this happens but I can reassure you that it is often a phase - I am speaking from experience with past babies (I was a nanny for many years in and helped raise many, many little ones).  You are handling it perfect by not making a big deal out of it and continuing to offer his solids he prefers.  I would just continue this and he should return to eating at some point.  He may have hurt his mouth or had a sore throat,  which threw him off.  As long as his weight gain is on track, I would not worry about his not increasing his formula.  Good luck!!
I took him in to the Dr. today.  He has an ear/sinus infection, so Dr. thinks thats part of it..he's just not feeling well.  He started antibiotics today..poor baby.  On a positive note, he has not lost any weight and is basically healthy, so it hasn't impacted him to much.  Dr. also thinks he is just to "busy" right now to be bothered..lol.  He eats just enough to not be hungry, then would rather play.  He too said it was probably mostly a phase.  Combine that with the fact that he is teething...(again..) and eating solids is just not a priority to him.  So I will just keep offering until he goes after it again.  He ate a bit better tonight...all his favorites.  Beef broth, sweet potato and banana.  Not as much as he should, but it was somthing.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

Oh, and he is most definately a little stinker....lol.  He is just too funny about it to be upsetting...I could make a movie about this child and the things he already does and get's into.  I'm telling you, I really think he thinks his name is "no no baby"...lol.
So on top of his ear infection, 2 teeth finally erupted tonight.  No wonder the poor little guy hasn't wanted to eat...I can't believe he is not completely miserable.  Anyway, not worrying as much now...this will pass and I feel like it's back under control.  Thanks so much for the help, I truly appreciate it!
Must have been a very bad day! Poor baby!
I am glad that you were able to identify some reasons why he is going through this phase, but poor little guy - it is amazing that he was not fussier - he is a trooper!!
Poor Ryder! That is a very very good excuse for not wanting any food! I hope he feels better soon!
Trinity has started doing the same thing. Not sure why, but all of the sudden meal time has become a nightmare. She does not want to eat! She will eat her snacks if I put them in front of her, even at dinner time but will not let me feed her. I think it's an independance thing???? They want to feed themselves maybe? I'm going to try some finger foods.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
krichar commented on photo
Jul 18
krichar commented on veronica0808's status
Jul 16
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
Jul 14