Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Rice Cereal in babys bottle
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Rice Cereal in babys bottle

Please no judging or critisism...

I have started putting rice cereal in Jennas bottle...she is 7 weeks old this saturday....We have changed her formula from Similac Neosure to Gerber Good Start Protect as Similac kept her constipated and I want to make sure she keeps gaining weight...

Can someone tell me how to mix it properly without having to change her nipple..

I have been doing 1 teaspoon in a 2 oz bottle and 2 teaspoons in a 4 oz bottle...I dont want to make it really thick just give it a little more consistancy..

Anyone else giving there baby cereal in a bottle please let me know how you are mixing it ...
No judgement....but why are you putting cereal in your baby's bottle so early? There are many reasons why you shouldn't hun. I've heard of it and people do it but not until they are older.
Especially if your baby has had constipation problems, rice cereal is only going to make it worse. If you are worried about weight, then add a few more ounces of formula a day.

Read this for some info: http://www.helium.com/items/1310300-starting-baby-on-cereal
Thankfully I have decided against cereal in her bottle...

I tried it but realized that she was eating less of course because she was full from the cereal and after realizing that there are only 10 calories in a tablespoon of rice cereal and since I was only putting a teaspoon in her bottle she was missing out on way more calories than she was getting...

Please know I was not putting the cereal in her bottle to make her sleep longer or go longer between feedings...I was trying to add more calories to her diet to make her gain weight...but I have noticed she has gained more WITHOUT THE CEREAL..

Thanks for replying
I'm glad she gained weight! Hopefully the constipation has passed as well!
Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
Dec 16
klr2650 hasn't been online for a wh... Comment
Dec 13
krichar commented on photo
Dec 11