Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Schedules
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Schedules

Here is something I have been wondering... When and how should I put my baby on a schedule? He is 8weeks old and up until now we are sort of just flying by the seat of our pants. I am nursing him so I just feed him when he is hungry (every 2 hours during the day and every 2-3.5 at night). We go to bed when he is ready and have no routine what so ever! I just feel he may need some sort of routine as he is quite cranky most of the time and some set feedings and nap times may help... Any advice would be appreciated
As a nursing mother, it's very difficult to put a baby on a schedule. If I were you, I would feed on demand but if you are worried about a sleep schedule. Make a time and put them down. I would always put my son down when he was pretty small when I went to bed at like 10pm. But then it's almost like he started putting himself on his own schedule and started going to bed at about 7pm. I completely followed him and it turns out that he's a short napper during the day too. He has a nap at 9am for an hour. Then at 12pm for an hour, sometimes more. Then when he really needs it he will nap again around 3:30pm.
Your baby is only 8 weeks though, it's just too young for anything too set in stone just yet! Congrats on your baby.
Hey there, not sure if you have settled into a routine yet. But this is what we do for Rylan. Every night he is in bed by 8-9p depending on when his last nap was. He gets a bath or wiped down, followed by a story of some kind, and a bottle. He's out in 20 mins or less. He will sleep until 530/6a, eat again and sleep until 930ish. We've been doing that since he was about 1.5 months....which is also around the time I stopped BF.

As far as daily naps we are still working on those. He was napping well and now he's cat napping. He normally goes to sleep about 1.5 hours after he eats unless he is reallly sleepy.  I just tried "cry it out" for the first time today. I only lasted 6 mins lol. But they say do it for 20mins over 3 days and it should work fine. Let me know if you have any tips on daily napping. He is almost 4 months old.
krichar commented on photo
Oct 15
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
Oct 14
krichar commented on krichar's status
Oct 12