Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Suddenly refusing solids..
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Suddenly refusing solids..

This is so odd.  Yesterday Ryder had his breakfast as normal, and at lunch time a bit of yogurt (normal, we are not quite up to 3 solids meals a day).  Last night at dinner he flat out refused to eat.  I didn't worry to much about it as missing the odd meal is no big deal.  He had a big bottle at bed time.  This morning at breakfast, same thing.  He had maybe 3 bites of cereal, and 2 or 3 of fruit (he loves both usually), then the lips tightened up, and he flat out refused.  I tried to coax him for at least 1/2 hour, but he was having none of it.  

He is still drinking a normal amount of formula, but what could be causing this sudden refusal of solids?  He did it once before, but was much younger, and we were transitioning between pureed and food with more texture.  Nothing like that is happening this time.  He just cut 2 more teeth, but seemed to have a pretty easy time with these two.  He doesn't seem sick, although he is a bit grumpier then normal.  Any ideas?  Could it be the teeth?  He acts like I am torturing him if I try to feed him (I don't ever attempt to force feed, just offer).  Thoughts anyone?
  • Finger foods (10 replies):
    Baby G is now 10 months old - he'll be 11 months old on ...[more]
awww..poor little guy! I think he's in some sort of discomfort as he cut the 2 new teeth.
Hope this passes soon and he will back to his usual schedule soon.
Tonight he did it again..just refused.  And I know he likes these foods as he has had them lots of times.  So, I gave him some food from my plate, and he ate it. I think he wants what mommy and daddy are having. I do do that many nights, but sometimes we are having things that I thought might be too spicy or something, so gave him baby food.  I think he just wants the real mccoy now.

Ladybug, I also think the teething is playing a part in it.  His food he doesn't have to chew/gum as much.  With our food, he has to work at it a bit harder, and seems to like that.  Maybe the chewing feels good, but the softer or pureed doesn't?
Well, it seems mystery solved.  The little monkey wants table food..he had his cereal and some fruit for breakfast no problem.  At lunch I steamed him some veggies and he happily gobbled them.  Right now he is happily eating more steamed veggies and some cut up hard boiled egg yolk.  I will try to get him to eat some cereal as well.  I guess he is a big boy now and does not want to be fed...wants to do it himself.  It's slow and messy, but he is getting the job done..lol.
Glad to hear that the problem is solved.  Little Mr. Ryder has a sophisticated palette!!  I don't blame him one bit - have you ever tasted baby food? It is so bland.  If he is teething, he also may like these teething feeders.  Many companies make them - you put any kind of food inside of a little device that is covered by a mesh net.  The baby can hold it themselves and chomp away and the beauty is that any food they get out of it is small enough that they will not choke - it is great to put fruit inside.  My sister in law even puts cheerios inside of it for her 9 month old and he loves it.  
That is a fantastic idea!!  I am going to look for one of those when I run out today.  He wants to feed himself, but hasn't yet mastered a spoon and finger feeding is still hit and miss as well.  I love it!!  Thanks for the tip.
Hey Amanda.. I just saw those today at Wal-Mart.
Thanks so much hon.  I have to do a Wal Mart run on the weekend so I will pick one up.  This might be a great solution!!  
krichar commented on photo
krichar commented on JennyB0125's status
Jul 23
krichar commented on Moma_Cher's status
Jul 22