Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Suddenly waking up at night again?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Suddenly waking up at night again?

So as I type this it's 1 am and Ryder has been up again for an hour.  He has been sleeping through the night ( a full 12 hours) for a few months now, and this has started in the last few days.  He wakes up and screams for an hour.  I am not taking him out of his crib.  I just go in every 15 minutes or so, rub his back, tell him mommy loves you, say nighty night baby, and out I go.  He screams louder.  He isn't sick or wet or anything, he is perfectly fine.  Is this an age thing?  I don't think he is currently teething, although I suppose it's possible.  

Oh, and I am not feeding him either at night...I know he doesn't need it, and I do not want him to develop that habit again.  Any thoughts?
I'd say teething - but then again, I blame most unexplainable baby crankiness on the teeth ;)

Gil has been cutting one tooth after the other for the last couple of months (he's working on his 7th one) and he's been having more trouble than usual settling himself to sleep....but once he's down, he's out for the night (knock wood, hope I'm not jinxing myself there!)  

Do you have some sort of music/light thingamobob for his crib that you could turn on as a distraction?  We use this Winnie the Pooh one (has a light projector and plays 4 different melodies....once it's on, it runs for 10 mins.)  Maybe that would save you from running in there every 15 mins.?
I'd say teeth as well.

Or maybe dry air? Benoit has been sleeping through the night for about 3 weeks now, but last night he woke up at 4AM. He is teething right now so that could be why. But he was also congested (very dry air here) so tonight we'll plug in a humidifier and try to maintain an OK temperature in his room.

We do not feed him at night anymore as well, all he got last night was a bottle of water ah ah! The pediatrician suggested we give him water now that he is over 6 months old. He did not like it too much, he drank only 1oz and went back to sleep (I rocked him to sleep).
My Ryder does not sleep well when he is teething. He was fine when the first 2 teeth came in. He woke up for about 2 weeks before his 3rd tooth came in and did not go back to regularly sleeping through the night until the 6th tooth came in. For the past month he has been sleeping soundly through the night - thank goodness.

Whatever it ends up to be - even if it is just a phase - good luck.
Well, looks like you ladies are correct.  Another tooth just popped through and back he went to sleeping through the night.  It was so odd this time because there was no real distingushable bump this time.  It's like one day nothing, the next there it was.  So very odd.  

I did read that they will often start doing this around the time they start to walk, which he has starting doing.  Not too far, only 6 or so steps at a time but walking nonetheless.  Who knew there was so much to know? lol

Thanks for the input!!  I always appreciate it.
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
47 mins ago
krichar commented on mhv's status
47 mins ago
krichar commented on krichar's status
Aug 27