Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Transition bassinet --> baby bed?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Transition bassinet --> baby bed?

We're soon going to transition our son from a bassinet to a baby bed - he is 4 months and a half. He is unable to fall asleep on his own, we are used to rocking him to make him fall asleep so I am worried about this transition. Added to that he already has serious problems napping and won't nap for more than 40 minutes at a time, often as little as 25 minutes (3 naps a day in general and he is tired and rubs his eyes but is unable to sleep more).

How did this transition work for your babies?
Oh does your son ever sound like mine.  He too hates to sleep.  I recently bought the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and it has been very helpful to me.

As for transitioning.  What I did was sleep in his room with him for a few weeks.  I put him in his crib and slept on a cot next to it.  I think this helped a great deal as he was used to waking up and me being right there (btw, I did this around the same age as your little man is).  Also, putting him down drowsy as opposed to fully asleep helped.  He would cry, but I would sit next to his crib and rub his forhead gently and it helped a great deal.  I also have a CD player where I would play lullabyes very low and I think it soothed him.

One last thing...not certain if you are already doing this, but a good bedtime routine has also helped a great deal.  Every night at 7 we do bath, bottle, book and bed.  I bathe him in lavender baby bodywash and it really seems to calm him down and help.

Hope this helps a bit.  Good luck..the first few nights were a bit tough, but then it was ok.
Thanks for your experience!

We tried to make Benoit nap in his crib today and it was a complete failure: we spent 2 hours this morning, he never slept and was tired and cranky all day long, never really napped other than on me in the afternoon and it took 1 hour to make him sleep at night. Long day!

Benoit has been sleeping in his room for 3 weeks now. I wish I could have kept him by my bedside longer but he started to bang his legs on his mattress for over 30 minutes at times in the morning, eyes closed. Probably some gas or stomach pains. So he was switched to his own room. He generally sleeps OK at night but has shorter naps during the day.

Yes we have a good bedtime routine, I started it when he was a few weeks old: bath at 7:30, bottle, bed. I do read on a regular basis to him, only here and there, I need to read more to him.

He is used to falling asleep being rocked in our arms and then in the bassinet and that habit is going to be very hard to break. We need to hurry up because he is so big now (over 16 lbs) that he is not going to fit in the bassinet for very long.

I'll look if I can find the book you mention because we need help!
Oh, they are alike!!  Same with Ryder...getting him down for naps was so hard. Your a smart lady to be working on the issue now  I didn't work on the nap issue until much later and of course it just got harder.  I do think that book might help.  The other one is the "no cry sleep solution".  You can get a different one for naps and bedtime, but I am not certain what the difference is?

Good luck...sleep is such a tough issue isn't it.  
I gave up on the crib (shame on me)... My mom suggested we buy a bigger bassinet, that does not exist but we decided to buy one of these playard/bassinet: it's possible to rock some of them a little bit and rocking him is the only thing that makes him sleep right now. So we bought one - good thing we did not already have a playard, should allow him to sleep there for a few more months once he is out of his little bassinet.

I know it's only postponing the inevitable: sleeping in his crib - but we hope it will be easier once he is a little bit older (says the naive mom)! We really need to teach him to fall asleep without being rocked.

Yes sleep is a very tough issue with some babies!!
Aw, don't say shame on you.  You know, at the end of the day, no one knows our babies like we do.  If this is what you think is best, then it's what's best.  You'll sort it all out, and at the end of the day he will still be a healthy happy little boy and hopefully you will be a more rested momma!!!  good luck!!
Update: we had bought a playard/bassinet, Benoit napped twice in it but I got giant asthma attacks each time he slept in it that we quickly brought it back. I don't know which types of plastic they use to make this playard but it can't be good for the babies if I react to it so badly!

He kept sleeping in his bassinet but he is now 28" (72cms), too tall for the bassinet so yesterday evening we took the big step and had him sleep in his crib!  Surprise: he slept through the night without waking up! He also took 2 30 minutes naps there this morning.

That's good news! But we need to work on helping him fall asleep on his own because right now he needs to be rocked to sleep first in our arms...
krichar commented on photo
1 hr ago
krichar We made it!! (Well 2 days a... Comment
1 hr ago
krichar commented on Moma_Cher's status