Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Tummy sleeping: with a sleep bag or not?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
85 members

Benoit sleeps through the night now on most nights. Either on his back or on his tummy - we always put him on his back but sometimes he likes to turn.

Problem: he knows how to turn from back to tummy but not yet from tummy to back... I am very reluctant to put him in a sleep bag right now, I'd like to wait until he can turn from tummy to back, and even then that may still be dangerous?

How do you cover your babies that like to sleep on their tummies at night? For now Benoit is in a jammy.
as you know, Finn will only sleep on his stomach.  He cannot yet turn at all but can lift his head easily. I have not yet used the sleep sacks because I worry that they will ride up and bunch up around his mouth. I put him really warm jammies and if it is really cold and our heat is not on enough (we live in a manhattan apartment where we do not have control of the heat), then I cover him with one warm blanket - I do not put it higher than his mid back and I tuck it in to the sides of the co-sleeper so it wont ride up - it has never ridden up and he rarely moves much when on his stomach.  When he gets more active, I might have to rethink the blanket.  

The other day at target, I saw an all in one sleep sack and pajama deal.  It was long sleeve fleece pj's with an enclosed sack bottom.  I will get these and see if it does not ride up - seems like it might be safer than a traditional sleep sack over pj's.  I believe they were made by Carter.

Good luck.
No blanket for Benoit: we never know where we're going to find him in the morning! We have found him at the top of the bed against the bars and an other time with a foot between the bars above the bumper!!

My mom sent me 2 warm sleep sacks but I hesitate to use them. Benoit can lift his head with no problems and he is a strong baby, but still I think I'll wait until he can turn to his back.

I too have to jungle with the heat in his room, he has a little heater in his room (oil bath type) that I keep adjusting every night.
I have used a sleep sac from day one and still do (unless of course it's really warm in his room).  As soon as he could flip back to tummy he was always flipping himself over.  I still used the sleep sac with no trouble.  Perhaps there are different types, but the ones I am using are pretty snug around the neck...not so snug it's uncomfortable, but with that and the under arm snaps, it's held in place.  There is no way his head can get down there (and trust me I tried just to make sure...you know how paranoid I am).  

BTW...restless sleeper here too.  Those breathable bumpers are great!  I really really recommend them.  He was always getting his feet stuck in between the railings, but these completely solved the problem.
Great to hear that the sleep sac is snug and does not ride up around the face and can be used when tummy sleeping as well.  I will try one on Finn tonight - especially since it is really starting to get cold here.
Agdal: we have a breathable bumper (much safer than regular ones) as well but he did manage once to put his foot above it! Fortunately he did not do it again otherwise I may consider buying an other one to put above the first one :-)

Benoit is sleeping in a sleep bag tonight. Last night he woke up at 4:30 and his feet were freezing even though it was 73oF in the room. The bag we have seems safe, we used it for a nap this morning, he flipped and was fine.
Update: Benoit slept well in his sleep bag the past 2 nights. The 1st night he never moved, was on his back and slept > 10 hrs straight. The 2nd night he was on his stomach in the morning and slept > 11 hrs straight. Touching some wood that it stays like that...
Yay for sleeping through the night!!!  I am so happy for you!!!  Keeping fingers and toes crossed for a good nights sleep again tonight!
krichar, and Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status
2 mins ago
krichar commented on Who am I?
krichar commented on photo
Apr 17