Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Walkers
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Walkers

Okay so my question is, Cole is 3 and half months old now. How old does he have to be to be in a walker. my mom just bought him one today. and i want him to be in it. but I dont think hes old enough yet.  anyone got opinions?
but doctors don't recommend infant to use walker bcoz that doesnot help the baby to walk little early . and i think cole shud at leat sit of his own than he can be in walker.  
I think you have to wait until cole's back muscles and next muscles are a little stronger...even if he can hold his own head up he'll still get really tired and will be straining all of his muscles to just sit in it...he would be exhausted afterward so i wouldnt recommend it. I agree with the above poster that its probably best to wait until he can sit upright all by himself. I'm also wondering....whats the point? only because Cole will definitely not be able to push off with his feet yet to use it like its intended...and if ur just wanting something for him to sit up in...get a bumbo chair or just use the bouncer. Also, there should be an age limit on the box that the walker came in.
i meant ***neck muscles...i dunno why i wrote "next" LOL
I would definitely recommend a bumbo for now....and i know that we put Kahlan into her walker at 5 months...but then i heard the research stating that they won't learn to walk as quickly using a walker because while it strengthens their leg muscles, they don't learn to balance and they can't watch their feet to learn placement....so we stopped using it except when she wanted to sit and play for no more than about an hour, hour and a half a day.

It depends on each baby how soon their back and neck muscles can handle the walker but I would say a bouncer and/or bumbo would b e more age appropriate for now....and then use the walker closer to 5 months. If you want to put him into his walker to make gramma smile i would see no harm in doing it for a few minutes but if he looks like he's having trouble supporting himself just take Him out and wait a few weeks.- -insert smiley face here....im on an ipad and i can't find the semi-colon lol--
They now say walkers are bad because they limit a babies hip motion. Fionn was never in a walker just in the exersaucer. If you really want to put him in a walker I would wait till he is atleast 4months old and only if his control of head, neck and back is good.
i agree, we put my siblings in there exersaucer around 4-5 months. They're necks and backs need to be able to support his head and everything. I didnt even know they made walkers anymore i thought they just had exersaucers lol
Whats an exersaucer? lol
http://    www  .evenflo.       com/category.aspx?id=19

we have a bouncing station for my kids and a walker (although I've got to ditch it because it's completely pink, and my husband would be horrified if we put Grey in something THAT pink LOL) but I never got an exersaucer..maybe when I get rid of the walker I'll replace it with an exersaucer hmmm...
its like a walker but without wheels, its like a shallow bowl shape on the bottom and where the baby sits spins and they can bounce and stuff in it and around the ring next to the babies face is a bunch of toys attached to it.

heres a link of one that is similar to the ones my brothers had

just erase the spaces, you know the deal =]

http://www.amazon   .com/   Graco-Baby-Einstein-Discover-Entertainer  /dp/B0002U1SFE
exersaucers are major cool and i want to get one for Matthew but they're pretty expensive for the really fun looking ones. hmmm Maybe a grandma + grandpa team will buy him one haha....i think its only a matter of time until he gets uninterested in  his activity mat...right now he thinks its the absolute best but in about a month its probably gonna be old news. Thats a growing brain for you! stimulation is a lot of work :p !
Based on my experience, exersaucers are SO worth the money:  Daniel loved his, and Gil (who's inherited Daniel's) has an awesome time in it as well!  Both boys were in it when they were just a little over 3 months old.  You might have to shove a receiving blanket in it to help hold them a bit straighter in it at first, but as long as they can old their necks up, it's all good to use :-)
Thanks Jen, thats good to know...ive been looking at them a little and there are so many different ones...its hard to decide! I feel like im buying a car LOL...but i really think Matt would like  it ...sooooo we'll see. Anyway, thanks for the info, i hope Gilly beans adventure with solids is going well!
krichar commented on krichar's status
1 hr ago
krichar commented on Shannon79's status
krichar, and Melissa_71 commented on mhv's status