Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
What do you consider first steps?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

What do you consider first steps?

I am wondering what you consider first steps?  For a few weeks Ryder has been able to pull himself up, and walk holding onto furniture or the side of his crib.  He will also do it holding onto my arm...I am not supporting any weight, he is doing it for balance.  Today he made his way across the living room going from one piece of furniture to the next...exersaucer to coffee table to couch.  It amazed me...lol.  He was extremely proud of himself.  Is this considered first steps?  Or is it when he is walking completely on his own without holding onto anything?  I am so excited (and scared..lol).  He is only 8 months old!!

Also, someone told me to discourage this...something about halting development in other areas?  Any truth behind that?  And how on earth to you discourage? He wants to...
I consider first steps the first step without holding anything for balance. But I don't think there are any rules about this. I noted in my Ryder's baby book the first time he pulled himself up. My Ryder loves to stand up, take his hands off of what he used to pull himself up, and stand until he drops to his butt. He is quite mobile (crawling) and very proud of himself as well. You can tell he really wants to walk. He is constantly trying to turn himself around while standing and tries to get things.

My nephew never crawled - he just walked one day.  He did not learn to gradually walk, he just stood and walked when he was 8 months old. My SIL said that it is important that babies crawl first - something about the pressure points in the hand and that it aids in speech development. She said a name for it, but I can't remember. My son wants to walk. We have 2 dogs that he is constantly watching and trying to grab. I'm not trying to discourage it. I can tell he is thinking about walking and is trying to figure it out. I'm not concerned - his doctor knows what he is doing and he hasn't mentioned discouraging it.  
Thanks so much for the reply.  Isn't watching their development and all the changes so much fun?  I just love it.

I think we are pretty much in the same boat.  He want's to so badly...but just isn't quite there yet.  I have also been journaling things as he just changes so quickly.  I am doing the same as you...not encouraging nor discouraging.  I figure he will do things at the pace he is ready for and just going with that.  He really doesn't want to crawl anymore though...just pull himself to standing and try to find things to hold to to move around the room...its so adorable...except that yesterday we got our first face bruise...a small one over the eye and on the cheek. Face plant and there was a block in the way...sigh, I guess there are many more of those to come...
I also thought first steps were those that they take without holding onto anything. I've never heard that you should discourage walking at any age. That's silly. As for crawling first, I have also heard that it is important. My daughter skipped crawling and scooting altogether. She is autistic and the therapists all seem to think that skipping crawling was an early sign of developemental problems.
It is important for babies to crawl before walking because crawling builds important muscle tone and strength in the trunk (I had never heard the thing about pressure points in the hands).  Skipping crawling can be a sign of developmental problems but not always.  Big babies often skip crawling because walking is an easier way for them to carry their weight around and they may not have the muscle strength to carry their weight when they should be crawling.  

Ryder seems to be on the fast track motor wise - go boy go!!  He is just so precious.  I would not worry about discouraging him (if that were even possible!!!) - he is following his own rhythm. Plus he did crawl for a while (wasn't he early at crawling as well).

Technically first steps are considered a child's fist independent steps but you can consider whatever steps you want - there is no hard and fast rule.  What Ryder is doing is considered "cruising."  
Even if its important that babies learn to crawl before they walk, what in the world are we supposed to do about it if they don't?  Hold them down on the floor lol?  

Yay for Ryder by the way!  You must be so proud of him!  Watch out though! Before you know it, he'll be running!
Thanks everyone.  Yes, he was an early crawler and still does crawl...it's just he prefers to stand...all the time..lol.  He really does want to walk, so I have rearranged furniture pieces so he can reach them and move from one to the other.  But he still crawls following me around the house (we have crawling races..it's so fun..lol) and getting from room to room.  I appreciate all the input!!
just had to jump in here! both my hubby and I were non crawlers. no "development" issues as such at all. both big climbers though and I've heard other people say the same thing about their non-crawlers.

We wonder if it's more of a personality trait... once we decide we want to do a thing, we just go ahead and do it, no procrastinating!
krichar Done Christmas shopping for... Comment
krichar commented on photo
Oct 15
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
Oct 14