Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
breast milk supply?
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

breast milk supply?

hi every one, im really worried im not making enough breast milk for my 2 week old,
he wants on my breast constantly, to the point my breast alot of the time feel compleetly empty -
yet he'll still be looking for more.
his weight is slowly going up so the midwifes arnt concerned, and some days seem to go better than others,
but on a whole i presonally feel im not making enough,
is anyone elce feeling this or have any sugestions to help increase milk supply?
he sounds like he is in his 2 week growth spurt.  my daughter spent 3 days eating constantly....and she gained over a pound in 12 days.
as long as he is wetting diapers and gaining weight YOU ARE FINE.
feed him when he is hungry-he will set your milk supply.  trust your body-it was made to do this :)
Sounds a lot like my daughter did when she was that age. Actually it still sounds a lot like her, lol and she's 4 months old now. Babies for the first 6 weeks will stay GLUED to you and this is normal and it helps to get your supply up. If his weight is going up and not dropping, and he has the normal amount of wet/dirty diapers you don't have anything to worry about. Avoid supplementing as this will drop your supply and put him onto the breast frequently. Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand.
thanks girls, it reasuring to hear others have experienced this to, iv been feeling like iv failed him, i almost gave up compleetly last night as he didnt stop looking to be fed, did you feel like your breasts were empty during this time to? iv been looking at ways to increase milk supply and fenergreek seems to be quite good.
he is having at least 5 dirty nappys a day and a couple more than that wet ones, altho sometimes the dirty ones are quite small amounts and other times quite full. his weight gain has been very slow,
6-10 at birth
6lb at day 5 (just under his 10%)
6-2 on day 9
and last weighed on day 15 was 6-7
the health visitors/midwives seem to think its ok, but it seems very little to me.
i guess its my job title to worry = (mummy) :o)
his weight gain looks good.
since he is nursing constantly, you will not look or feel full.  if he goes 4 hours or more without nursing at night, you'll likely feel pretty full then :)
i wouldn't stress about increasing your supply, he'll do that for you.  just let him nurse as often as he wants to.  it'll slow down again in a few days (and pick back up again later for the next growth spurt)
my daughter cluster feeds (she's 19 days old).  she'll eat constantly for 3-4 hours, then sleep for 3-4 hours....i just park it in my favorite chair, put my feet up and switch her between sides whenever she takes a brief break....
thats exactly what Oscar does... non stop for 3-4 hours then sleeps 3-4 hours! i just thought he was exsausted from all the constant sucking.
its so reasuring hearing your baby girl dose exactly the same, thank you :o)
Congratulations!

My son (now 4.5 months) did the same thing and I was so worried that I did not have enough milk that I almost gave him some formula.  Then I read in a breastfeeding book  that this is entirely normal in newborns and that it can make women question their supply and give formula supplements, and this is what can really start interfering with your milk supply.  So hang in there and just keep at it.  His wet and poopy diapers seem spot on and his weight gain is fine.  That is telling you that he is getting plenty to eat.  I was anxious enough about it that I did take fenugreek for a few months - it is harmless if you want to just reassure yourself and try it, but you likely do not need it.  By the way, my son would live at my breast, especially in the evening.  It does get better - trust me.  What every one and what every book said is true - breastfeeding is more time consuming and harder than bottle feeding for the first 6-8 weeks and then it is so much easier.  I now adore breast feeding and am so glad I hung in there - you will feel the same I am sure.

by the way, I love the name Oscar.  
I forgot to mention - there is a breastfeeding forum that is really wonderful and is a good place to visit with any and all breastfeeding questions.
I never feel full, lol. There are nights where my daughter will latch to me the entire night. (tonight being one) Don't doubt yourself. That's where many breastfeeding mothers run into their main problems. Just keep letting him nurse whenever he wants to and you'll do fine. Avoid supplementing unless you absolutely have to, as this can cause your supply to actually drop and may cause nipple confusion. He sounds like he is doing perfectly fine.

You should also remember it's harder for a breastfed baby to get the milk out (hence why in the beginning it takes so long for them to eat) so they take a little longer and take frequent breaks for their jaws. Bottle fed babies have a constant drip so the milk just flows into the mouth without issue. This makes them much more lazy and is also much easier to overfed them then. As they get older they will get faster and more efficient about drawing out the milk and won't be latched on for quite so long. (unless they love to comfort nurse as well)
thanks everyone for all the support, its so reasuring to hear its normal and youve all gone or going thro the same Xx
enolia commented on Is 3.7 years old the ...
krichar commented on Moma_Cher's status
krichar commented on krichar's status