Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
spitting up
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

spitting up

i had my baby at 32 weeks gestation...she spent 15 days in nicu and came home this past sat....the nicu doc sent her home and said that she needed to have 2 doses (2 oz bottles) of neosure (formula) a day...i had no issue with this until i noticed that my baby seems to spit up after formula feedings...the rest of the time i pump breast milk for her to drink

well today was our first ped appt (my daugher is 18 days old) and the ped said she wants emi to alternate formula and breast milk and wants her eating every 3 hours at least 45-60 mL...that honestly seems excessive to me...im worried about the spitting up

i mean my baby will be sleeping and all of a sudden spit up and it looks as though she's not breathing and compeltely freaked out...im not too happy about increasing her formula feeds...anybody have this happen to their babies when using formula? could it be a burping issue? what is the best way to burp the baby? i thought i was burping her enough but im wondering if i am?
Hey :) I responded on the M&C forum but I'll copy/paste here in case that one gets lost on the forum..

Honestly it's usually just due to an immature diaphragm that spasms and pushes the liquid back up..it's USUALLY not due to burping issues, although sometimes less air means less liquid gets pushed up.

Both of my kids became champion spit-uppers and it was definitely worse when they transitioned to formula...unfortunately there's no much you can do if it's not considered reflux...they MAY give you meds to control it if it's bad enough, but with both of my kids I just took the fall with every single t-shirt I owned, lol, and waited for them to grow out of it...which they eventually do. I went through a spit-up nightmare and 5 outfits last night with Grey.......and after talking to his Pediatrician we've decided that he can sleep on his stomach some nights, which is a huge relief to me because he's a fantastic tummy sleeper, an OK side-sleeper, and a Heavens-AWFUL back sleeper.

So you can always ask about that, but yes spitting up is completely normal on formula although there are some that will lessen it....not really an option with your little Miss, though...have you tried propping her on her side so she doesn't choke on the spit-up? and when you bottle-feed her, make sure that she's fairly upright...and keep her upright for at least 5-10 minutes after she finishes the bottle and usually that will lessen the spitting up, although it generally doesn't eliminate it.
hey thanks for the advice...i actually switched to the playtex ventaire bottle and keep her sitting up in her bouncer after eating and no spit up has happened since those changes...sometimes its just a trial and error but im glad this was figured out
turns out Emilee has acid reflux...started zantac and added rice cereal (1/2 tsp...not much at all) to formula and so far things have been going well

she weighed 7 lbs even yesterday for her 6 week weight check....she's almost on the growth chart (weight wise) finally :)
krichar commented on Moma_Cher's status
krichar commented on krichar's status
enolia commented on Is 3.7 years old the ...