Parenting Expert Forum
4 year old violent behavior
About This Forum:

Questions in the Parenting Forum are being answered by doctors from MindWorks. Topics include: Behavioral Issues - Discipline, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Recreation, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

4 year old violent behavior

Since our son was an infant we noticed that he has a difficult time with social settings..  We always thought that he was just "shy" and uncomfortable around people he does not know well.  However, as he has gotten older he has begun to physically act out during these situations.  He has had episodes of separation anxiety, but in the past year those have somewhat subsided.  He is fine when I drop him off at daycare, we have only had a few tantrums when I have to leave.  We have a group of friends that we hang out with on a fairly regular basis.  They all have children ages 9 to 3 yrs. old.  Whenever we are around this group, he refuses to play with the other children and clings to either parent.  However, he becomes very aggressive towards the parents, he refuses to listen, back talks and hits, bites, pulls on limbs and clothes.  The issue is getting worse and no consequence works for my son.  The behavior is not limited to unfamiliar people.  Let me give you an example, this morning my husband and I went to pick our son up from my in-laws.  According to them he was well behaved before we got there.  As soon as we arrived he started to run around, speak very loudly, tell us to "shush" whenever we asked him to settle down and with no provocation what so ever he hit me in the mouth for no reason.  We were sitting next to each other on the couch watching a movie and I was talking, he looked straight at me and hit me in the mouth.  We have also had occassions when we have run into other children from his pre-school while walking through the neighborhood.  While I am trying to speak with their parents, my son will hit me, pull on my arms and clothes, twist my arms or just keep repeating "Let's go mommy".  We are at our wit's end and are becoming so nervous about how he will behave in a social setting that we are beginning to limit our social lives.  Any advice you could give us would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you