Parenting Expert Forum
Emotional problem
About This Forum:

Questions in the Parenting Forum are being answered by doctors from MindWorks. Topics include: Behavioral Issues - Discipline, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Recreation, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Emotional problem

My son, age 5, became very upset yesterday because he ask me to pause a dinosaur movie he was watching and I just stopped the VHS movie.  He started crying and said he would have to watch it all over again.  I stated to he it would start back at the same place, but he would not hear it.  Is it possible my son has obsessive compolsive disorder?
Related Discussions
521840_tn?1348844371
Hello,
   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a pattern of behaviors and obsessions that are severe enough to interfere with an individual's day to day functioning. Typical child behaviors associated with OCD might be tapping, touching objects, hand washing, lining up toy/foods, or counting rituals. They sometimes feel an intense need to complete rituals without purpose in order to calm themselves. These children also have thoughts they can not 'turn off' such as worries about germs or that they will do something bad. Children with OCD tend to be anxious and rigid. Many times the children recognize that their behaviors or thoughts do not make sense, and want to stop them.

If that sounds like your son, then I would take him for an evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist. Children with OCD are likely to gain significant relief from therapy and potentially medication as well. If the video incident was unusual for your son, it may mean that he was just having a bad day. Sometimes the things we adults think are trivial (like stopping a movie) can be very important to a little child.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, OCD in a 6 yr old? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank