Parenting Expert Forum
My 10 year old just started wetting the bed again!

Questions in the Parenting Forum are being answered by doctors from MindWorks. Topics include: Behavioral Issues - Discipline, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Recreation, School Issues, Social Development

My son just turned 10 this week. He is an outgoing, compassionate, honer roll student. He has many friends in school, and plays on a few differant sports teams. He was a bed wetter until about age 61/2, but had not wet since then. Then about the end of the summer he started wetting the bed nightly again. I thought it could have something to do with the heat and his liquid intake, but now it is autumn and he is still doing it. I have tryed to talk to him about any issues at school, or home, or with friends, and he denies anything is wrong. He says he just sleeps to deep. I , too, was a bed wetter until age 12, and I know it can be genetic, but why the 3 year stretch of not wetting only to wet again?
Tags: bed-wetting, son, 10 year old, sleep, school, friends
    If you and your son have not noticed any emotional changes (increased anxiety etc.) then it sounds like you need to consult your pediatrician. It may help your son to know that this problem is not uncommon, and it will not last forever. As to the three year stretch, your doctor can tell you more about growth and hormonal changes that are likely culprits. Kids can wet the bed for quite a few reasons, such as a proportionally small bladder or hormonal issues (the urine does not get concentrated enough during sleep). The doctor will determine possible physical causes, and discuss treatment plans.

One of the popular interventions for wetting is a 'bell and pad' system, where a mattress alarm goes off when the child urinates. There are also medications that have been shown to be effective for reducing enuresis. Punishing him or enforcing consequences for his wetting are not likely to be effective. Hopefully this well not keep him from enjoying sleep-overs and camp for too much longer.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik

Disclaimer: These posts in response to Medhelp.com questions are intended to be informational only. They should never be considered a substitute for face-to-face medical and mental health care by a qualified practitioner. Answering Medhelp questions is not intended to create or imply a patient-clinician relationship. Information presented in posts is not intended to give or to rule-out a diagnosis.