Parenting Expert Forum
My 6 year old hitting his teacher

Questions in the Parenting Forum are being answered by doctors from MindWorks. Topics include: Behavioral Issues - Discipline, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Recreation, School Issues, Social Development

My 6 year old hitting his teacher

I am finding that my childs behavior is getting worse in school each day.  When he does not want to do something, he says no and when he does not get his way, it becomes worse until he screams and hits.
I am thinking that he has attention problems and maybe ADHD.  I am seeing that he figgets in his seat and hangs on me when in line for anything, and more.
When he is in time out he continues to ask all though when he can get out.  
He is in red everyday in school and I have tried many things and nothing seems to work.  He now is saying that he soes not want to go to school and he is such a bright child and a careing child that I feel he is losing confience in himself.  He had a rough year because of his parents also.  We are together, but split at one time this year and he has been in three different schools in one year!  Is there hope for him?

Please help!

yes, I am sure there is hope for him, though hitting a teacher is a significant cause for concern. This is a relatively rare behavior and an indicator that your child is having an unusual level of difficulty with self-control. Based on your report, he is demonstrating some of the symptoms associated with ADHD, including impulsivity, low frustration tolerance, and problems sustaining attention. Keep in mind that these symptoms can happen for other reasons as well as ADHD. I  recommend you seek a psychological evaluation as soon as feasible. You will want to have results in hand prior to the next school year so that you can address these issues proactively. If he does have a disability with an educational impact, you will want to access special education services prior to the beginning of next year.

As your son is also going through a period of family upheaval, it will be important to have a thorough psychological or neuropsychological assessment to determine if his symptoms are due to an attentional problem, an emerging learning disability, or an emotional issue (and perhaps a combination of these). An assessment by the school is not likely to be comprehensive enough to help you definitively answer the question of what is behind these undesirable behaviors. I would also recommend seeking a psychologist who can do the testing, follow up with therapy (both for him and to assist you and your spouse in learning to manage his behavior), and consult with a pediatric psychiatrist/pediatrician in the event that medical interventions are indicated. Your pediatrician can refer you to a psychologist or neuropsychologist in your area.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik