Parenting Expert Forum
Whats best for toddler medical issues
About This Forum:

Questions in the Parenting Forum are being answered by doctors from MindWorks. Topics include: Behavioral Issues - Discipline, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Recreation, School Issues, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Whats best for toddler medical issues

My granddaughter is 15 months old, has hydrocephalus, DWS, PVL and hypoplasia of her corpus collosum as well as seizures. She is delayed and gets PT & OT up to 4 days a week. She did not start sitting up on her own till she was almost a year and just recently started trying to pull herself up. Socially she is very much a "people person", she gets very upset if someone walks out of the room, even when there are other people that she knows there.  She has recently had two brain surgeries within 10 days of each other and spent a lot of time in the hospital. She lives with her mom, her grandpa and & I and her two uncles. Her father was here the first two months of her life and since then has seen her 5 times, most recenlty 4 months ago. He lives in another state and wants to come spend a weekend to see her. He has supervised visitation due to her medical issues. He doesn't understand that to her, he is a stranger. She is very distraught when he is around, cries continually, doesn't eat, and often times just shuts down and passes out (she tends to do that when she is overwelmed). We feel shorter more frequent visits would be best for her so that her routine isn't disrupted as much and she gets used to him but because he lives in another state he feels like when he is in town he should get to see her from the time she wakes in the morning till the time she goes down for the night. He says that she knows who he is, simply by the sound of his heartbeat when he holds her. We have tried to get him to take his time and let her warm up to him but on the occasions he has seen her he rushes right in and expects her to be happy to see him. We'd like some advice as to what an appropriate length of these visits should be? We want to be fair to him and try to foster a good relationship between them but him wanting to see her for 8 or more hours at a time every few months isn't working. With all her issues we don't want to cause her anymore stress. Any advice is appreciated.