Parkinson’s Disease Community
Could Parkinsons present with Stiff neck and dementia symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Im a mother of a 27 year old previosuly very healthy daughter. She is a college graduate and high energy career girl with a huge personality. She gradually began complaining about her joints feeling hot or sore like inflammation and she had some unexpalined rashing which we atill arent sure has to do with the full diagnosis.She saw a rhumetaologist and she thought she just had a mild virus called parvo virus that many kids get when young  with no symptoms and is harmless and sometimes causing a mild arthtirits later in life. She began to feel better and we dismissed the joint and rashing episode.  While on a family vacation a year later she complained suddenly with no warning signs she felt frozen in place like she couldnt intiate movement. This epsiode lasted  about 10 minutes and since then she has been on a tough journey downhill. After that episode her neck began to get stiff and she had alot of fatigue so bad it interfered with her work. She was 25 at this stage, She felt as if she had a constant flu. Then she had bouts of dizziness that took her balance alot and no longer could drive.  She complained about inner vibrations and musclw twitches. This stage lasted a year all MRIS,EEG, EMG and extensive bloodwork for infectious disease drs for lyme disease or any other cns infection were ruled out. The symptoms progressed to a cognitive and behavior changes.She developed high anxiety and depression. Her personality changes and slight memory decline could be noticed as a mother. She complained her neck was progressively stiffing and as it got worse so did the memory problems. A nureologist did an exam and nueropsvh testing which resulted memory as normal from last year. Her joints are badly stiffening and its maing walking uncomfortable. She had a spinal tap in March 12 and all was negative ruling out MS, and infections,Mengitis . We saw a movement Dr at Coumbia University and he does not feel despite the stiff neck and balance problems that she has a movement disorder he adviced back to rheumatlogy for autoimmune possibly affecting the cns. The rhuemologist did extensive bloodowrk and nothing shows but a slight eleveated ANA which can not exlusively diagnose Lupus or CNS Vascuitis, an angiorgam was negative showing no dilation of vessels for CNS brain vasculitis which can effect cognition behavior. So my daughter is getting worse her neck is so stiff she is in so much pain. Her walking she complains everything feels like its on a tilt. There are times when she doesnt recgnize people and places and doesnt talk as much anymore. We are finding no help just push offs from drs. I see her personality and memory declining in a 27 year old smart vibrant girl. Almost as beginning stages mimcking dementia symptoms. Nothing runs in our families except migraines. She thinks its Parkinsons or anothe rmovement disorder. She was tested for vertigo but ENT dr resluts were that the balance and dizziness wee not from the ear. Anyone have a similiar course? Could movement disorder take the mind with a young girl? Is she to young for that disease? She also ran a low grade fever alot which she never had before onset of symptoms. Any Advice is greatky appreciated.
Also slight low b12 in bloodwork but she is on pills for that know as supplement but no changes
  Parkinson's can occur rarely at that age and Parkinson's can progress to dementia in the later stages. However Parkinson's is not associated with some of the other symptoms you stated exspecially the ones that occurred earlier but they may or may not be connected. There are autoimmune disorders and diseases that can be mild in general but have potential rare complications that could potentially cause some of the symptoms you discussed. To my knowledge there is no specific clinical test for Parkinson's. They generally rely on what symptoms they are noting and work from there. However only a doctor could provide a conclusive diagnosis.
    The important thing to understand is that not all diseases and conditions are fully understood clinically at this point. However with many there is continuing research in the field. You could ask them what concerns they are looking for or might be noting and ask if there is a neurologist or other doctor who has specific knowledge in this area. Movement disorders specialist have a specific area of knowledge in the field. Also although the initial condition may have been seperate from what is happening now they need to note what might have happened then. The best thing to do would be to obtain full clinical records and testing from when this concern started and give them to the current treating neurologist. Also think back to anything that might have occurred at that time. Also if possible the current treating physician should speak to some of the neurologists who treated her in the past. Its essential to work with as not all conditions are easy to diagnose and understand.
Hi, thanks for this note. I am a 35 year old woman with very similar symptoms. Dizziness, ear pain, neck pain, tingling body parts, headaches, fatigue. I have had this for more than a year now. Similar test results (nothing coming out of mri etc but low b12). Lately also forgetting more and more things. And after i discovered today that i had put the yoghurt in the microwave, and after i lost 2 phones and a bunch of itemsover the last month, i ended up searching for neck pain and dementia online.
Diagnosis with me : tmj, some herniac symptoms in spine, and generally tight muscles. treatment. I am seeing an acupuncturist and physical therapist at this point. I live in NY so seemingly in the same area.

healthsearch
I am a 46 year old female who was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's at age 35 after several years of a stiff neck and feeling like I was "tilting" when walking.   I have never had the tremor usually associated with the disease, but gradually the twitching started, as did some memory loss.  I just found out about low B-12 earlier this year.  Take your daughter to a neurologist who specializes in Parkinson's ASAP!!!